Quill stem jammed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You didn't specify the stuck materials.
Is the alu quill stuck in steel steerer tube.
Steel quill stuck in steel steerer.
Alu quill stuck in alu steerer.
Steel quill stuck in alu steerer!

Not sure tbh. I'm Guessing Alu wedge in a steel stem.

Venod

Eh up
I removed a well stuck stem, I turned the bike upside down and filled the headtube with GT85, I kept it topped up for about a week, then gripped the stem in the vice and used a length of 2x2 timber between the fork blades, working it back and forth until it loosened on, you can't do this with just the wedge stuck, but you can block the headtube off and fill it with release agent.
It was a steel fork though.

richardfm

Veteran
I removed a well stuck stem, I turned the bike upside down and filled the headtube with GT85, I kept it topped up for about a week, then gripped the stem in the vice and used a length of 2x2 timber between the fork blades, working it back and forth until it loosened on, you can't do this with just the wedge stuck, but you can block the headtube off and fill it with release agent.
It was a steel fork though.

It's very easy to bend the forks doing that

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
An alternative strategy, is to convert to an ahead type stem.

Leave the stuck wedge where it is and use one of the quill/ahead adapters. As long as it can be inserted below the minimum mark, should be OK. You will incur the costs of a new stem and handle bars, but if you have these already in your parts bin, won't cost that much.

Did this on my daughter's MTB, when I wanted to claim it for a week of snow about 15 years ago. Since been donated to a club mate.

That would be my solution too.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Tighten the expander bolt again and turn the bike upside down. They fill the steerer with diesel and give it a few days to week to penetrate and try again.

Great, another one who knows the benefits of using diesel. I thought I was the only one!
Cheap, creeps well - what's not to like? I even often use it on my outdoor wooden furniture!

Loosen it and go for a very gentle ride away from traffic.

Saying that, if the stem is in the right place, does it matter?

Windle

Über Member
Well, I finally beat the bugger. I had another crack at it on Friday evening, first of all trying to pull it out using the stem bolt with a washer over the end as suggested by @presta . Of course the stem bolt threads weren't long enough to just use a washer so a big socket had to be employed which gave me a few turns until it locked solid.

GOPR0448.JPG
A bit of head scratching sussed out that I'd run out of threads so another socket was added (the wedge must be about where the green elastic band is).
GOPR0449.JPG
With the forks on the floor and a pipe over the allen key for leverage I managed to get the wedge a bit further down the steerer (at about a quarter turn at a time), but it was bloody hard work. All of this brute force, grunting & swearing eventually resulted in stripping the thread in the wedge though :cursing:. (I'm not sue which of the three actually stripped the treads). Plan B ~ drill the bugger out. Putting the fork steerer in the vice I got a decent sized hole (in a few bit size goes) in the main body of the wedge to start with (removing the wedge material right up to the steerer inside), hoping to get the hole large enough to reach the actual bolt hole but ended up about a mm short so I ran a bigger drill bit down the bolt hole, joining the two holes up.
GOPR0450.JPG
The theory being the gap would flex and the wedge would come loose. Whether a cast wedge would flex I didn't know but a few belts with a hammer and socket bar resulted in the wedge eventually coming out ~ in three pieces,
GOPR0452.JPG
result! :hyper:
GOPR0453.JPG
Now I can fit the a-head stem adaptor and use a proper, non-ski ramp stem for a better riding position.

Top Bottom