Radcliffe Pulls Out Of Marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've always thought this. I notice she's rarely injured when there's a big city marathon on the horizon and money to be made but all too often she goes on the missing when there's no dosh at the end of the pain.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
PaulB said:
I've always thought this. I notice she's rarely injured when there's a big city marathon on the horizon and money to be made but all too often she goes on the missing when there's no dosh at the end of the pain.

Not so IMHO. She has competed in 5k's and 10k's for years and years without recognition or great success. She competed in the last 2 Olympic marathons when not fully fit and also tried to do the 10k too in Athens.
Of course, making a living would come quite high on her list of priorities as it would with most of us when offered a choice of barrowloads of money and a piece of metal on a ribbon.
She has also had to pull out of the London for the last couple of years which would have been a good earner.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
papercorn2000 said:
Claims that she was three weeks out on her training! It's not as if they arranged the race a month ago...

At the risk of coming over as her No1 supporter, she had an operation some time ago and hasn't recovered in time! It's not that she didn't realise when the race was on.

PaulB

Legendary Member
rich p said:
She has also had to pull out of the London for the last couple of years which would have been a good earner.

Let's not feel too sorry for her; I'm sure the New York marathon pays quite well.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
PaulB said:
Let's not feel too sorry for her; I'm sure the New York marathon pays quite well.

I wasn't. I was responding to your comment that she's rarely injured for big city marathons. She has missed out at London which is the biggest of the lot.

PaulB

Legendary Member
rich p said:
I wasn't. I was responding to your comment that she's rarely injured for big city marathons. She has missed out at London which is the biggest of the lot.

So she missed out on London, there'll be another one next year. When's the next World Championships again?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
PaulB said:
So she missed out on London, there'll be another one next year. When's the next World Championships again?

Are you deliberately missing the point?
You said she was rarely injured for big city marathons and I pointed out that she was often. What has that got to do with the World Champs?
Besides they're not even as high profile in the public's and athletes' eyes as the London, for professional marathoners.

Pottsy

And the New York race she just completed was not a marathon, it was a half marathon, an entirely different kettle of fish. She ran it to test her fitness. It probably wasn't even a big earner like the full marathon there at the start of November.

I'm with rich p, give her a break.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Pottsy said:
It probably wasn't even a big earner like the full marathon there at the start of November.

Which I couldn't fail to notice she wasn't injured for. In fact, she was so uninjured, she won it. And the big fat cheque that goes with it. She won't win Gold for Britain in the World Champs this year and didn't win Gold for Britain in the Olympics last year though, did she?

I remain unconvinced with those who say she puts money before medals. I've got no problem with that; it's a hard game and she's quite good at it. If I was her, I'd do the same thing. It's just that she wants her cake and eat it (well, she looks as though she is a stranger to cake, like!) and wants the money (fair enough) but also wants to be seen as Britain's Golden Girl. She can't have it both ways.

Rob S

PaulB said:

The big city marathons are spread throughout the year and there are at least five in the series. Paula doesn't run very many a year....one usually plus a championship. The only year she ran two city marathons was 2002.
When she's injured and decides not to enter a race or just doesn't bother to enter any given race (for example she has only done New York three times since first doing marathons) it seldom makes the news. When she does enter for a race and fails to start because of injury it does make the news (like the last two Londons) and when she's expected by the nation to win a gold she's only done it once with gold in the 2005 worlds...all the others she's been injured or only just recovered from injury.

Top Bottom