Raising back wheel for repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glass Kites

Hi,

I've noticed some odd sounds when riding lately (coming from rear cassette area). However, it doesn't occur when the bike is at home, upside down and I turn the pedals with my hand.
It only occurs when I'm actually cycling around (must be something linked to the force of pedaling).

So I can replicate the problem, I'd like to be able to lift the back wheel off the floor, but still be able to get onto the bike and pedal. So I can fix it at home; instead of riding...stopping...adjusting...riding...stopping...adjusting.

Don't really want to have to buy anything special to do this (I suppose a turbo trainer would do the trick), and was wondering if anyone had any tips/techniques for being able to raise the back wheel off the ground using stuff around the house.

U

User33236

Couple of high back chairs, stick a broom handle / spare curtain pole across and hang the nose of the saddle over said handle / pole?

IBarrett

Über Member
I have a G clamp locked to one of the beams in the shed and a rope with a loop on it tied to the G clamp. I hang the seat nose in the loop and the bike hangs freely.
If I want to lift the front of the bike a little I put a bucket on the floor and sit the front wheel on the rim on the bucket.

Heath Robinson is my hero!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Before the OP kills herself with some of the suggestions, can people be aware that she wants to sit on the bike and pedal - not just raise the rear wheel off the ground.

OP
OP
Glass Kites

Glass Kites

Before the OP kills herself with some of the suggestions, can people be aware that she wants to sit on the bike and pedal - not just raise the rear wheel off the ground.

*Himself :smile:

But yeah.... I do need to be able to get back on an pedal once it's up.

"She"'s got a beard, too, and thinks she is male.

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 14.16.32.jpg

@Glass Kites You've got to use a turbo. You won't set up something that's safe and effective for less money. Maybe someone could lend you one?

Before you do that, just try raising the back wheel with your and and turning the pedals. If you hear the noise, then one of the suggestions above should do the trick.

OK, in that case Tim's inner tube idea won't work, it needs some modification. Some strong webbing slings will ensure that the bike doesn't stretch down or bounce up and down when he/she sits on the bike whilst suspended. It may be difficult to mount but a ladder should suffice?

It is very seldom necessary to exert the type of force equivalent to real pedaling when looking for noises, therefore a turbo isn't even used in a professional workshop. On the few occasions when we do require a bit of forced pedaling, two mechanics will go out to a parking lot. The one will ride tight circles around the other one while he/bearded ladies look on whilst turning slowly. It resembles those horse things you see in cowboy movies where the horse runs around in a circle in the guy in the middle turns and shouts whoa whoa. We never shouted whoa though, just observed.

It is very seldom necessary to exert the type of force equivalent to real pedaling when looking for noises, therefore a turbo isn't even used in a professional workshop. On the few occasions when we do require a bit of forced pedaling, two mechanics will go out to a parking lot. The one will ride tight circles around the other one while he/bearded ladies look on whilst turning slowly. It resembles those horse things you see in cowboy movies where the horse runs around in a circle in the guy in the middle turns and shouts whoa whoa. We never shouted whoa though, just observed.
:smile:

and a noise that only occurs with a weight in the saddle might be due to compression forces down on the rear wheel or the frame, and wouldn't occur in a hanging contraption that is starting to sound like something you might find in a sex dungeon.

:smile:

and a noise that only occurs with a weight in the saddle might be due to compression forces down on the rear wheel or the frame, and wouldn't occur in a hanging contraption that is starting to sound like something you might find in a sex dungeon.
In that case you just sit on the bike and bounce up and down. I quite like the hanging contraption idea. Don't diss it. And it gets even better. Sometimes I can just look at a static bike and see where the noises comes from. For instance, in the second hanging contraption photo I can predict that any noises emanating from that bike are vocal and emit by the rider winching as that sharp-pointed saddle rams up his you-know-where.

Top Bottom