Raleigh Campag Gran Sport forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jez Hall

Hi

I am trying to make my early 80s Raleigh Gran Sport presentable again. Most of it is in reasonable condition apart from the forks. These are beyond cleaning and I would like to replace them. Any idea where I can get a similar set. Mine are flat crown but later models came with a sloping crown I believe. Either would do.

stevevw

Guru
I have some from a earlier Gran Sport they have a stem stuck in them and also attached to the frame which has been bent by UPS when they delivered it. I am in North Herts if you are interested.

OP
OP
J

Jez Hall

I have some from a earlier Gran Sport they have a stem stuck in them and also attached to the frame which has been bent by UPS when they delivered it. I am in North Herts if you are interested.
Hi - many thanks for that but it sounds as though I may have trouble detaching from the rest of the bike?

stevevw

Guru
No not that bad. Cut off the lovely GB stem and remove from the frame in the normal way, you should then be able to knock the remains if the stem out or use some caustic soda.

OP
OP
J

Jez Hall

No not that bad. Cut off the lovely GB stem and remove from the frame in the normal way, you should then be able to knock the remains if the stem out or use some caustic soda.
Hi Steve - thanks again - very kind, but I'm no mechanic, so I willpass on that one.

raindog

er.....
What Jez, the forks?
I assume it's a quill stem, and I assume you've dismantled brake levers and bars? Loosen the bolt at the top of the stem - either a hexagon or an allen bolt - and tap it with a small hammer. This will release the expander bolt and you can now withdraw the stem. Now dismantle the head bearings, and withdraw the fork downwards out of the frame.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
J

Jez Hall

What Jez, the forks?
I assume it's a quill stem, and I assume you've dismantled brake levers and bars? Loosen the bolt at the top of the stem - either a hexagon or an allen bolt - and tap it with a small hammer. This will release the expander bolt and you can now withdraw the stem. Now dismantle the head bearings, and withdraw the fork downwards out of the frame.
Hope that helps.
Hi - I think where I have been going wrong is removing the bolt completely. I will re-insert and try again as your instructions. I have removed brake caliper but bars didn't want to move when the allen bolt was removed - are they just tight and need a bit more 'persuasion'? - many thanks.

raindog

er.....
Yes, you mustn't remove the bolt, because that way the expander is left in the inside of the fork. Try and gently rescrew the bolt back in and tap it as I said. Should come lose then.

Top Bottom