Raleigh Criterium Refurb.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have been slowly restoring my Raleigh Criterium Triathlon12 over the past few months.

It has sadly been lying neglected since the rear derailure gave up, the light touch is no more until I can find a way of

fixing it.

Recently I have put back on the parts I robbed off it to make another cycle, polished the frame and touched in some

scratches, and repaired the saddle which was looking rather tatty.I used evostick to glue down the lifting cover and

Sikaflex to fill the gaps where the cover was missing. I gave the saddle a quick coat of white aerosol today.

Attachments

• Cycle refurb 003.JPG
    Cycle refurb 003.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Cycle refurb 005.JPG
    Cycle refurb 005.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 58
That's massive! Yellow script on Blue? What a touch of late eighties genius; it could be a Lambo it's so brilliantly bonkers!

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
That's massive! Yellow script on Blue? What a touch of late eighties genius; it could be a Lambo it's so brilliantly bonkers!
The blue looks sparkly in the sunshine, and the stickers that you like are beginning to peel . I bought it in a LBS second hand back in the 90s.

It is a24.5 inch frame and is a bit in the ouch department although I can reach the floor whilst on the saddle. I haven't ridden it for years I bought a mountain

Bike and put it aside for a number of years.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
@Illaveago they are nice machines and that

is a big nice machine you have there

so what bits are you missing from getting it back on the road
Thanks for the reply. I think it is basically there my brother gave me his Shimano rear derailleur, I connected that up yesterday I've yet to try it through the gears.

I bought some white bar tape for it but I managed to clean up the old tape with some white spirit and reapplied it where it slipped down. The old tape is textured
Like a lizard skin and I quite like it.

like a lizard skin and I quite like it.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
part 2 . I haven't ridden it for a long time, it is light 24.5 lbs as it is with 700 by 7/8. It was like riding a razor blade when I first rode it.

I may be able to test it tomorrow if She who Must be obeyed gives me a break from fitting the new kitchen.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I took it for a test ride this evening a bit wobbly at first but I soon got used to it. Out on the road it seemed to go quite well, the road is slightly downhill, brakes

Worked well, everything was going well until rattle , clunk, the chain had started jumping. A slow return ride clunk click every pedal. The chain had a couple of

Links that were stiff, you could squeeze them together and they would hold that shape. I worked some oil into them and went for another ride everything fine up

and down the gears and then clunk. I'll try a new chain.

Apart from that annoying chain everything went well but I found that the ride seems to vibrate more than my Falcon which is steel as opposed to Reynolds

501 for the Raleigh.

Top Bottom