Raleigh Frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
I don't recognise it as a Raleigh. Raleigh in 531c 1987 would be something like an 8803 (think that's the number) but it's not one of them.

southcoast

Über Member
I don't recognise it as a Raleigh. Raleigh in 531c 1987 would be something like an 8803 (think that's the number) but it's not one of them.

Could it be a late 80's far east falcon?

midlife

Guru
It's more Falcon than Raleigh, might be the original paint. Left over Shane Sutton paint and decals could have gone on anything lol.

OP
OP
S

sjmac531

Regular
The guy I got it from said 531c but it had an ordinary 531 transfer on it, and he was adamant it was a Raleigh 🤔 I think I have one of those 8803 frames as well, I'll take some pics and post them here.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's more Falcon than Raleigh

The format of the frame number certainly suggests it was made by Raleigh though. Could the frame have been bought in from Raleigh on a wholesale basis, then built up and badged by Falcon as a Falcon? I've certainly read that Falcon were not averse to buying in frames from other suppliers if they needed them.
Many an exotic steel Italian racing frame was not actually fabricated by the maker whose name appeared on the downtube!

midlife

Guru
I'm not sure about the frame number as my era was the standard letter for place of fabrication, letter for month, number for the year and then a load of random numbers.

wl4003924-jpg-jpg.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm not sure about the frame number as my era was the standard letter for place of fabrication, letter for month, number for the year and then a load of random numbers.

View attachment 527887
That's a Raleigh Worksop or Nottingham lightweight department frame number from 1974 or 1984, IMHO. My Royal has one starting WD5000, but as a 531 frame I doubt it was made on the same line as the 18-23 stuff.
My 18-23 and 501 Raleigh frames mostly just have seven-digit all-numeric serials just like the number stamped on the BB of the Falcon-badged bike. My rod-braked roadster has a NA420xxxx for 1974, but that is the odd one out.

the rear dropouts suggest a quality frame. Is there anything written on them? (Possibly Campagnolo, Gipiemme or Simplex) This might help us narrow things down a little .

OP
OP
S

sjmac531

Regular
Hi, no nothing on the dropouts unfortunately. Is the little pin behind the headset possibly to hold a race number?

Top Bottom