Raleigh Massif

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sustineo

Regular
Hey All,
I need some advice please, I bought a Raleigh Massif yesterday for £10 from my local charity shop (couldn't resist, love the colour scheme).

My main experience is in Folders and I was wondering what the original spec was for this bike, as I would like to turn it into a tourer if possible. It has 559x21 wheels but two different tyre sizes on it.

I have had a look on the web for info but cant find too much about specs and if it would make a descent tourer.

Any help would be appreciated.
004.JPG
005.JPG

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 158

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
looks good and with some smoother tyres i cant see no reason why that would not make a good tourer at all

and looks in reasonable condition

raleighnut

Legendary Member
^^^^+1 one thing I would do though is fit a metal bracket front reflector (similar to the rear one) I'm not normally a fan of reflectors but they stop the possibility of the front brake straddle wire locking the front wheel if the main cable snaps.
As for uprating it to a tourer it depends how much you want to spend, smoother tyres (Schwalbe Marathon) and a rack would do the job or you could go all out and spend £400-£500 and change pretty much everything and even fit mudguards. I think that is a good base to start from though, nice bike.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I had one of these! A girl I met while riding this bike even commented on its flamboyant colours (in fact it was a conversation starter and we ended up dating for quite some time).

Nice bike!

OP
OP
Sustineo

Sustineo

Regular
^^^^+1 one thing I would do though is fit a metal bracket front reflector (similar to the rear one) I'm not normally a fan of reflectors but they stop the possibility of the front brake straddle wire locking the front wheel if the main cable snaps.
As for uprating it to a tourer it depends how much you want to spend, smoother tyres (Schwalbe Marathon) and a rack would do the job or you could go all out and spend £400-£500 and change pretty much everything and even fit mudguards. I think that is a good base to start from though, nice bike.
Thanks for the tip about the front reflector, I appreciate that. I don't have a great deal to spend but as you said I think a luggage rack, better tyres, mudguards and new shifters (theres two different types on at the moment, but they do work) would make a huge difference.

Top Bottom