Raleigh MTB serial number 7704878 , no letters. Please Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mtbjohn

Hello I am trying to determine the year of this Bike . Its a Raleigh MTB , it has Hi TEN Forks Shimano SIS 15 speed .
There is a number on a sticker that says it conforms to BS. 6102/1 and another number, 52560479.
This stamped number 7704878 is on the bottom of the seat post , no letters . I am lost. I think it dates to pre 1980...
Any ideas would be welcomed

midlife

Guru
Unlikely to be pre 1980 as MTB not really a thing for Raleigh at that time plus it would have had the bog standard Raleigh number.

OP
OP
M

Mtbjohn

Ok Thanks for the information , any ideas on the number without any letters ? Is that a modern alteration , dropping the letters ?
Will try to upload photos .

OP
OP
M

Mtbjohn

I am hoping to enter an event for pre 1980 bikes on Sunday , if this MTB is to young then maybe I could use my other bike.
Its a Raleigh Compact folding bike, the number stamped beneath the bottom bracket is , yet again without letters ( groan ) 9052641.

IMG_2131.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2133.JPG
    IMG_2133.JPG
    342.7 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
M

Mtbjohn

The alloy rim details are RIGIDA Made in England DIN 20x559AS26FL 97 12 1 1 R . Front wheel , saddle , brake levers, pedals , rack, mudgaurds are not original.

OP
OP
M

Mtbjohn

The Raleigh Compact , any ideas on the year ? Number on Underside of Bottom bracket 9052641.

IMG_2137.JPG

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It may be near to 1985 but certainly not before. 1980. I suspect that it's maybe a frame that's been imported and then built up with components judging by the lugless welded construction unless there's any indication it uses Raleigh's own tubing.
A pic of the bike from the drive side might yield some clues.
A bit of research reveals the Compact is the folding version of the very popular Raleigh Twenty made in the seventies, so would be ok for your event.
Be careful if riding in the rain, those brakes won't work on the chrome rims and check those tyres for perishing and cracking, they look like the originals. Best replaced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mtbjohn

Thanks for the help , the MTB seems too young indeed for the event . However, I had a new Triumph 20 in 1968 when I was 14 , metallic blue with white saddle and tyres. I loved its versatility of handlebar and saddle adjustment. This Compact feels the same I admit , the brakes were squeaky on wet days I remember . I bought this bike a few weeks ago in a Vide Grenier here in France for 20 euros , after a few rides I broke the chain standing on the pedals ! Will check the tyre too . Happy biking one and all .

Top Bottom