Raleigh Scorpio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul J

I picked this up this afternoon bought for £50. Haven't had a chance to clean it, but it has brand new tyres on it. Should be better than my cheap mountain bike. If anyone could reccomend a reasonably priced pair of pedals that have toe clips?

raleigh scorpio.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
paul looks fairly clean bike , should be nice to ride as well

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
forget about toe clips, buy some spd pedals and shoes. you can get spd pedals that have a flat side and an spd side. toe clips are only really appropriate these days for track sprinters and people who ride a fixed wheel where spd would be inappropriate (like a commute in work clothing), as clipless pedal systems are safer, counter-intuitive as that sounds.

it's a nice bike, but it's not a classic vintage that needs to be kept as it was on the day it was purchased, so don't feel bad about a bit of customisation here and there…

OP
OP
P

Paul J

forget about toe clips, buy some spd pedals and shoes. you can get spd pedals that have a flat side and an spd side. toe clips are only really appropriate these days for track sprinters and people who ride a fixed wheel where spd would be inappropriate (like a commute in work clothing), as clipless pedal systems are safer, counter-intuitive as that sounds.

it's a nice bike, but it's not a classic vintage that needs to be kept as it was on the day it was purchased, so don't feel bad about a bit of customisation here and there…

Hi Alec, I have only ridden a bike with toe clips (many years ago) so don't really want to get into having to buy special shoes as well as pedals etc. Pedals and shoes would cost more than the bike to be honest.

I was thinking of this type of thing?

REA417.jpg

raindog

er.....
Nothing wrong with clips and straps, we used them all the time in the old days. A bit less conveniant than clipless is all.

Those pedals will be fine, except if ever you want to ride on the "wrong side" for one reason or another, you'll be in trouble.

Edit
that's a bloody big frame, by the way!

raindog

er.....
This is what I meant - with this type you could ride on the other side of the pedal, if ever you were just nipping to the shops or something and you were wearing shoes to big to get into the clips.

139516__22576_zoom.jpg

I meant to mention, I ride with a guy who still uses clips, straps and shoe plates on one of his bikes!

col

Legendary Member
I used to use toe clips, but even being able to use the other side for quick move offs, it was sometimes still a pain trying to get my foot in later on. I now use a larger area pedal, like a mountain bike type on my bikes.

I bought some strapless clips which bolted onto my existing pedals just to give them a try because I didn't want to go down the special shoe route. I just use them with hard soul trainers and find them perfect for my needs. Best of all they only cost me a fiver.

Dave

bobcat

I still use toe clips and love them! The clips Paul J put up look nice, plenty of room and very reasonably priced,do it!

OP
OP
P

Paul J

I'll use toe clips when I have some money to buy them^_^ . At the minute I am just riding it and enjoying every minute of it.

Top Bottom