Raleigh Wayfarer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ludacris

Just got myself a single speed version on eBay as a winter project. I'm new to cycling but love cleaning things up. I've been reading some great stuff on this site and excellent videos on YouTube.

It's going to be a big learning curve for me but I'm already getting stuck in getting all the gunk off.

I need to buy two tyres and inner tubes and brake blocks all round. Wouldn't mind a rear parcel shelf as I think they look the business. I have a rubber seat that's dead comfy but want to look for something not so tacky looking. Also some cable clips to control a wayward brake cable. Might even get a saddle bag if I see a good 'un.

A three speed one of these got me to school for three years.

OP
OP
Ludacris

Ludacris

I bought two Raleigh white wall tyres and managed to get the front one on. I tried to get the rear one on and couldn't get do it for the life of me. After an hour I eventually levered it on but knew it wasn't sitting right. I then realised...front wheel = 26 1 3/8...rear wheel 26 1 1/4! I was devastated.

Since then I've discovered I can't get a white wall to fit 26 1 1/4 so I'm going to have to settle for two different types of tyre, both black!

This is not going to be as easy as I thought.

OP
OP
Ludacris

Ludacris

Had him out for a couple of miles on a test run this afternoon down the Esplanade. As sweet as a nut and some admiring glances at the handsome fellow along the way.

Very satisfying :-)

Top Bottom