rapid fire gear shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Are these things serviceable at all? I've recently busted another pair. The LH one stopped working when I was out on the bike. I knew I should have left it, but I forced it and it broke. When I got home, I turned the bike over and opened it up, only I opened up the wrong one and busted that one too. The mechanism seems really fiddly and delicate. Once the gear indicators stop moving, that's it. This is not the first time this has happened, which is annoying because they are expensive. To make things worse, I'm pretty sure there was nothing wrong with the LH shifter to start with. I think it was the front mech needing oil or cleaning. I've put on some old thumb shifters, but they look minging. I wondering what to replace them with next. Something that doesn't break so easily, I hope.

maurice

Don't think they are serviceable. The one you forced has probably had it (can't really blame the shifter for that), but unless you've done something silly again the other shifter probably just needs reassembling correctly.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
not serviceable, but they only need a squirt of WD40 every now and then to keep working.
Unfortunately they're a bit fragile, so any impacts tend to kill them outright.

02GF74

Über Member
obviously if you apply more force thant the item eas designed to take, it will break as you found out.

there are no replaceabe parts - if something is bent and cannot be unbent or broken and cannot be unbroked, then it is bin time.

I've only had one set go - the ratchet meachism was worn.

spence

Über Member
What shifters are you using?

It is possible to do some servicing depending on model and age. With most Shimanos the internal workings can be popped out of the case for cleaning. As most issues are caused by dirt and grit getting amongst the ratchets etc. drop it in some MuckOff or similar then rinse well and dry off thoroughly (by a heater). Lube with some spray grease and reassemble.
I've also completely stripped down and reassmebled SRAM's (Rockets) in the past.
Just be carefull and note what order you take things appart.

Top Bottom