Raspberry Pi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

Has anyone got one or thinking of it.

I gather they're a bit hard to get hold of, but for £22 I'm severely tempted.

As a veteran of the ZX Spectrum they have a fascination, and there must be something vaguely useful you could use them for - even it were back-up / storage of data?

Both official outlets have reverted to a "register your interest" page because of the unexpectedly high demand.

Wait for the grey market (eBay) to respond.

Anyway, I'll be having one and I've registered with both suppliers.

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

Was listening on the radio this morning and seems like a great bit of kit, browsing the interweb now to find out more!

I agree - they even seem to have wifi connection. For £22, it must be the best value ever (which I guess is why they are impossible to buy at present)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm sure there are a couple in this house (both big and small) who would be interested ... maybe look to getting one later in the the year?

I agree - they even seem to have wifi connection. For £22, it must be the best value ever (which I guess is why they are impossible to buy at present)

There is no WiFi

That rumour was started by a blogger who did not understand what Ethernet was. That is not to say you could not use a USB WiFi dongle.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I heard about this on R4 the other day, sounded great, not for profit organisation too. Apparently their website crashed shortly after the broadcast (due to demand not because it was a rubbish website!).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm sure my son would love one. They did say on the TV report that the retail machines will have a case - maybe that's why you can't get one yet.

machew

Veteran
The current versions are the retail machines. A case will just add to the cost of the base unit. There will be third parties selling cases, or you can make your own (lego, fag packet etc .. ect)

machew

Veteran
I heard about this on R4 the other day, sounded great, not for profit organisation too. Apparently their website crashed shortly after the broadcast (due to demand not because it was a rubbish website!).
The Raspberry PI website was fine (they had changed it to a static page) Franell's and RS Components went TU, due to the fact that at one state they were getting 1m hits per mins

david1701

Has anyone got one or thinking of it.

I gather they're a bit hard to get hold of, but for £22 I'm severely tempted.

As a veteran of the ZX Spectrum they have a fascination, and there must be something vaguely useful you could use them for - even it were back-up / storage of data?

xbmc baby, needs wifi usb which won't be a fun set up, but they are duck tapeable to the back of the pc and are built with a hdmi out and native 1080p support. To make a nice box with blue ray drive, mobo, baby ssd ect would cost me 300-350 but these are so cheap its actually an option for them to be on every tv in the house :biggrin:

Top Bottom