Rat Traps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My 'departed' FIL used to spend ages making things to stop the squirrels getting nuts from the bird feeders.

Extra long slippery poles greased up etc. He even went into the local DIY store and bought a swing bin lid. The store assistant told him there was a bin to go with it - he didn't want that and left it.:laugh: The lid was fixed above a feeder that the squirrels jumped over to. You can guess, it tipped and they fell off.

The buggers soon learned if they jumped and aimed for below the lid, they could get the nuts. This battle of attrition went on for years.:laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Drowning - hmm, I used to drown slugs and snails in beer. El cheapo supermarket beer in a plastic cup, lots of 'dead happy' slugs in the cup the next day. Only down side is forgetting to dispose of them - soon gets rotten.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Drowning - hmm, I used to drown slugs and snails in beer. El cheapo supermarket beer in a plastic cup, lots of 'dead happy' slugs in the cup the next day. Only down side is forgetting to dispose of them - soon gets rotten.
I've done that before, it doesn't take long for them to start decomposing, and it ruddy stinks xx(

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I used to run a maltings with obviously lots of barley lying around in heaps. Rats were a constant problem and eventually I was given a slightly dubious poison which killed lots of rats but we were careful to remove any carcasses soon as possible as they were a threat to other wildlife as well as our resident cats. Eventually had to employ professionals as the rats still proliferated despite poisoning hundreds of them.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Killing them is only a start. If you don't stop more from taking their place then all you are doing is giving yourself a dead rat disposal problem as well as a live rat problem.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Is there a local air gun group you could contact?
I understood there were air gunners who enjoyed having the opportunity to sit in silence in the middle of the night, having donned the the "you can't see me" gear and practice on moving targets. A win win. :smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm doing battle with hungry wabbits right now.

Might have to learn to shoot straight, and make some rabbit pies.

They've been dining on the finest organic veg, so should taste good anyhow.

Fencing works OK, until the badgers dig through, and then the wabbits follow.

I dunno, you do your best for ecology n wildlife, and this is the thanks they show.. :rolleyes:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Rats?

Bring 'em on, Guv -

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've posted this in a different thread, but this girl's pretty good at her job

Perhaps it's worth admitting that some of the caught-and-released have ended up inside the house on occasion. But she is a good ratter all the same

Attachments

• 2DFE99D9-2C47-4B0A-A819-94E682C01060.jpeg
    2DFE99D9-2C47-4B0A-A819-94E682C01060.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2
Know any ferrit owners? Apparently rats are scared of the things.

Unfortunately we are suffering from them in the loft but getting their after installing rat valves in man holes, various inconclusive surveys of drains, water board coming out to check lateral drains and baiting and traps in loft etc. One died in a void so now suffering with blue bottle flies in the house as we can’t access the carcass to remove. The joys of owning a house!

Top Bottom