Re-spraying bike frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fa66ster

Hi all,

Looking at re-spraying my old bike frame, have stripped it down and wondered if there were products to remove old paint from frame? Also was gonna buy a couple of cans and hand spray, anyone had experience of this or is it wise to take it to a pro? The bike is old now but components are good so did not want to throw bike away for a tired looking frame!

Cheers

Landslide

Rare Migrant
You can get a functional finish by hand, but it won't be anywhere near as well finished or durable as a pro job. It also gets surprisingly expensive once you factor in paint stripper (e.g. Nitromors), wet'n'dry, primer, topcoat and lacquer.

Given that you've done the work in stripping the bike down (and presumably you'll build it back up too?), and that you make the bike sound like a decent steed, I'd suggest you shell out for a pro job. You should be able to get a single colour stove enamel job for ~£60 and you may well be able to find a company that could do powder-coating for ~£30. Bear in mind you'll need to either have the necessary taps and dies to clear any overspray from all the threads on the frame, or check that the company doing the respray will do it for you.

Crankarm

Guru
Also if it is an old frame it should really be blasted before spraying to properly get rid of any rust before re-painting/re-enamelling. Blasting will also show if the rust is more serious. What often happens with old frames is that lots of tiny rust pin prick holes appear which can weaken it considerably. Blasting will reveal these if they are present. There are a few places that restore, re-enamel old frames that advertise in the back of Cycling Weekly. I think £50-60 is about the going rate. A re-enamel frame done properly will make the frame look like new. However aerosol spray paint or brush painting will look sh1t in comparison.

robgul

Legendary Member
Blast and powder coat is the answer - going rate is about £25 - 30 for frame & forks.

Simplest is to mask all the threads with some old bolts and BB cups - get it all blasted and coated, remove bolts and BB cups and you're ready to rebuild. The one tricky bit is getting the headset cups into the frame ... can be done with a hammer and block of wood but probably worth getting the LBS to do it

Rob

OP
OP
fa66ster

fa66ster

Been quoted £60 and £100! Still gonna have a heavy steel frame at the end of it too.......may just opt for second hand Aluminium option.

Cheers for all the help guys!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I painted an old steel frame on a budget. I used cans from poundland then a good quality lacquer on top. Looks great and i let it bake in the sun for a few days before building the bike up one year on only a couple of minor chips. Not a pro job, not as tough or as good a finish but if you want to do a budget refurb not impossible. You do need to be patient though.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Fair enough if it's a cheap frame.

But just because it's steel doesn't mean it's heavy. High quality steel frames can be as light or lighter than aluminium ones, usually better looking (well, I think so), and much more fun to ride because they're stiff, springy and lively where aluminium can just feel dead.

Powder coat has got more expensive. My local powder coat man used to charge about £30 for a frame; now it's £50 or £60 depending on colour and prep time.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I got quoted £65 for powdercoated frame and forks by GBH. More for certain colours. I thought it was reasonable, dont know the going rate in the area though. Convenience rules for me. I live about 3 mins ride from them!

Top Bottom