Reading - books or ereader (other kindles are available)!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
By coincidence... I was round at a friend's house this evening and she suddenly whipped out a very old Kindle which my sister gave her about 12 years ago. I'd forgotten she owned it. She was excited to tell me that she had found a book on Amazon that she had been searching for for some time, available for Kindle for only 99p. She loves reading paper books, but likes to be able to pick up bargain Kindle books like that when she finds herself with nothing much to read.

Kindle is very good for technical books which are often hard to get hold of, or very expensive in paper format. It is also useful being able to electronically search such books.

I was looking at my Sherlock Holmes Kindle book last night and wondered what some strange marks on the screen were. It took me a while to discover that they were passages that had been commented on by other readers on their Kindles/Kindle apps. I suppose it could be handy for study purposes, but I found the marks distracting and so turned them off.

Being able to use a bigger font is good for my ageing eyes. I also set the background to something more relaxing than white - a creamy brown colour.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Those underlined sections are annoying. Can you have it so they only show sections you underline?

There's sometimes very strange sections underlined too. Starting mid sentence and/or ending mid sentence, they just don't mature sense. I wonder if some people are deliberately messing with this function?

Due to sensitivity to light leading up to and after migraine attacks screens I sometimes cannot use. Even kindles! Books however seem to be OK. Actually a good way to calm down and potentially prevent an attack happening. The benefits of a kindle can be a negative for me.

Good point about reading in the olden days. Did everyone use Sherlock Holmes style magnifying glasses ?

There's some magazines I don't buy any more. They use trendy layouts and weird colours and as a result I can't blooming read a lot of the text. So frustrating. I'm looking at you Empire...

Top Bottom