Ready made curtain question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
My mum needs curtains, the window is ~210cm wide, eyelet curtains not pleated header.
I’ve ordered two pairs, one is 218cm width per curtain and the other is 168cm width per curtain. Google suggests double the window size, so the 218s, but I wonder if there’ll be way too much material when closed but also when open, the pole will be a little over the width of the window but not too much!
We are leaning towards the narrower ones… thoughts!?
cheers!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Don't forget the size is not gathered, so the time you put pleats in the said curtain will be shorter

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Personally i hate pleats (and pelmets, and tiebacks) so my curtains are flat when drawn and take up minimal space when open. :okay:

9 curtains up.jpg
I also made an over long rail so they don't block any light when open. It makes a big difference.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
The narrower ones should be fine. It's 1.5 to 2 times the overall width. And eyelet curtains are usually less full than pencil or other pleated styles.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@vickster 8cm is really nothing, the curtains you have ordered will just cover the window - could look a bit stretched when fitted.
Ultimately it's personal preference, some folks like a "lots gathered material" appearance when the curtains are closed, others are the opposite.
Double of 210cm, 420cm, would give a "single gathering of fabric" - technical term lol - for each eyelet.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster 8cm is really nothing, the curtains you have ordered will just cover the window - could look a bit stretched when fitted.
Ultimately it's personal preference, some folks like a "lots gathered material" appearance when the curtains are closed, others are the opposite.
Double of 210cm, 420cm, would give a "single gathering of fabric" - technical term lol - for each eyelet.
Thanks @Pat "5mph"
It’s 218cm per curtain as mentioned, so 436cm total ungathered across a 210cm window
I don’t think my mum cares too much, she’s had a holey old sheet for the last 3 months!

Pat "5mph"

Thanks @Pat "5mph"
It’s 218cm per curtain as mentioned, so 436cm total ungathered across a 210cm window
Ah, sorry, per curtain, so 2 curtains.
Yes, it will be plenty, will look very full.
Can you return them if you don't like the look of them fitted?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Looking at my curtains I suspect they are around 2/3 the width of the window. And that gives plenty of excess fabric.
Try hanging the smaller ones first.
If you like them, then don’t even bother opening the larger ones.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
With eyelets in our (well I hung the darn things anyway) very recent experience more was better. It enabled us to have the pole slightly longer either side so that the curtains drew fully away from the window opening to maximise light. The eyelets are surprisingly constraining and won't lie at much of an angle on the recommended c28mm pole, iyswim which is why the length multiplier seems so large.

20231231-095027.jpg

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The narrower ones are up, look good, mum happy (just need to tidy the room…does anyone in the Sutton area need a wheelchair, one on left!)

Attachments

• C408B831-26B0-46C0-9045-F49E79E9382A.jpeg
    C408B831-26B0-46C0-9045-F49E79E9382A.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 15

Pat "5mph"

I don't do curtains, because of furry flatmates that like to enter/exit from windows :laugh: but my preference would have been a fuller look.
As I say, its just personal preference: if your Mum is happy about her curtain, all good!

Top Bottom