rear cassette choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I ran a HG51 and a KMC chain some 8,000 miles or so. HG50's good too, same class the 50 is a road bike the 51 M.T.B.

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

Bear in mind that rear mech cage would need to be big enough to accommodate the range of gears you're looking for. Don't go and buy a cassette with a big gear without thinking about whether you may have to change your rear mech to accommodate it.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much. When I took up biking 4 years ago I was fat, very unfit and asthmatic - I was terrified of the smallest hills and could never imagine myself getting up the big or steep ones. I went for 11-28. Just keep tackling them, slowly as you have to, and you'll find your ability quickly improves. Now I'm still overweight but did a very hilly 44 miles yesterday without feeling knackered at the end of it. Most amazingly my breathing is way better than it ever was, no wheezing or gasping. I recommend cycling to all asthmatics. I'm doing London to Paris in June, over 3 days !

By the way I applaud your wish to be able to maintain your own bike. I like to support my LBS, but there's very little on the bike I couldn't do now when needed.
I ride a lot of hills were I live there's alot of farms, nothing better riding country roads as apposed to town, i find it much safer. Ive decided on a 12/25 cassette as my old one is 11/26, as you say theres alot we can do ourselves (with the help of youtube) so hopefully save a few quid aswell. Thanks for your reply much appreciated

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

I'm thinking of trying a Sunrace 11-23 cassette because I also never use the lower gears and closer ratios would be nice. I don't know why, but an 11-23 (or similar) cassette took some finding.

I just wish my present cassette would hurry-up and wear out!
Ive elected to use a 12/25 just slightly different to the one i have 11/26. Fingers crossed it'll prove a good buy.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I've got 11/28 on a compact 50/34, that's a 10 speed. I rarely use the 28, I can get up pretty much any hill with the 24 so hopefully you'll be fine with your choice.

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

^^^ I have 8 speed and went from 11-32 to 11-28...Tredz sell it in that size...next time round though, I might try a 12-23...the difference is noticeable and I barely use my low gears, so I'm after crispness...here's some links to Shimano's offering...wiggle and chainreaction sell the same cassette for cheaper, but the size range isn't the same...wiggle will probably get you the speediest delivery time...if that effects your choice...

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-CS-HG50-8-Speed-Road-Cassette_33610.htm

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-hg50-8-speed-cassette-road/

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-sora-hg50-8-speed-road-cassette/rp-prod1864
Hi I just got a 12/26 to chain from my 11/27 I was wondering do i need to reduse my chain size thanks.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
No same chain will be fine, you have marginally reduced the extremities both sides.

If the chain is old then you should put a new chain on with a new cassette (otherwise you just wear the new cassette quicker), but if you've haven't done many miles then just stick with same chain.

Top Bottom