Rear hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nilling

nilling

Über Member
Cheers Lee :biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Almost certainly, what you have is loose cones. The LBS can sort it really quick - and better than you can without a proper spanner designed for the job - but it's actually really quick and easy to tighten it up enough to pass muster for months.

Just loosen the wheel nuts/QR, whichever you have, then tighten up the closest-to-the-hub 'nut' you can reach....to finger tightness or just a fraction more. That should sort it - at least temporarily (which can mean hours or months).

What your LBS would do is get that tightness just right, then lock it in that position using the lock nut - the next nut out on the axle.

(I've been bodging it like this for five years now with no probs - needs tightening probably once a year or so. I will get a proper cone spanner one day, I really will...)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
swee said:
:rolleyes::ohmy::ohmy:

Takes 5 mins max to do it properly.

You need two cone spanners and an adjustable spanner

Undo lock nut on 'non-drive side', then tighten slightly the cone, then re-tighten the lock nut. You should have a very tiny amount of play when thghtened up, but no roughness when you spin the axel (assuming no roughness in the first place as this signals worn bearings and races).

Takes a bit of practice first time. Whilst you are at it, grease the bearings. If not confident, then a quick trip to the LBS.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
i got the same problem, and i thought it was just the cone, but turns out my axle has snapped. the only thing keeping my wheels on the bike is the quick release :rolleyes:

Top Bottom