Rear light reversal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Odd that. What about cases where you do both?
It seems nobbers are overly caring about their lighting safety as I haven't had the chance to ask anyone if they want their rizlas back to measure the next overtake *and* if they knew they only had one brake light. I think I'd probably actually start with the light thing, and when their guard was down point out that it'd be handy if they left more than 6" between themselves and a bike next time they overtook (I may still be cross about last night's commute home here...)

sittingbull

Veteran
I've seen one bloke lit up like a Christmas tree, lights everywhere including along the frame for side visibility.

One light was a rear facing white light on the bars, he said it was to illuminate his high viz reflective jacket :wacko:

potsy

Rambler
I sometimes tell drivers about nonfunctional lights if convenient when stopped at lights. They tend not to care as well.
I had a problem a while back with my reversing light coming on at odd times, stopped at the lights in 1st gear was the most common time.
I got lots of helpful people telling me about it, probably feared I was going to set off backwards.

Most recently I had a headlight out, bought a replacement bulb but due to 12 hr shifts and the awkwardness of French cars I took a week or so to get it sorted, during that time I was more conscious of it and was amazed at just how many cars on the roads are driving around like this.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
It stuns me the number of cars that are only a couple of years old and have rear or brake lights out. I could also imagine that very few people check them with any regularity so they can end up driving like this for ages (actually, those two together could be the answer to the conundrum...).

potsy

Rambler
It stuns me the number of cars that are only a couple of years old and have rear or brake lights out. I could also imagine that very few people check them with any regularity so they can end up driving like this for ages (actually, those two together could be the answer to the conundrum...).
True, though in my case it is nearly 10 years old and the first time a bulb has gone.

Tynan

Veteran
On one ride home I followed for a while a fella with a white rear light which paled into insignificance when I later, when descending Essex Road at a fair clip recognised a local yoof coming towards me head on with a flashing red light at the front, that was rather disconcerting with the closing speed, a flashing red coming towards is wrong, fortunately I had half seen him swerving from the other side of the road to cut across early for a right turn

A rear white light is fairly common on my route, I have no idea why, rear red lights are cheap as chips, I'm not sure whether i prefer a decent white rear light to those tiny single led red lights on seat posts, frequently either covred in mud because there's no rear mud guard, or obscured by one of those mtb style high mudguards

It's not much of a choice

Exile

Red front/white rear are fairly common amongst the illegal set ups, but I've seen a flashing blue mounted on a helmet (which was actually very eye-catching but very, very illegal), green front (old LED tech?) yellow rear, or my favourite, someone who had covered their top, seat and down tubes with a rainbow array of those glow stick bracelets. I don't even want to imagine the cost/time involved in that!

I saw a New Mini with white brake lights last week. Mentioned it to the driver at a set of traffic lights, got a shrug for my troubles. I did my bit, it's his bank balance when he gets a tug from the law. I gave up mentioning wrong colour lights to cyclists after I got pretty much the same "meh" response from about 95% of those. Now I reserve my lighting based comments for those trying to call down aliens and blinding me in the process, and those who have lights which look on the verge of running flat/aren't on when they should be.

Tojo

Über Member
Up in this neck of the woods I see people on bikes with SH*tttt loads of red on the back and nowt or a pi*s farty on the front (red on back, white on front, we haven't got round to confusing other road users yet...!) ......suppose we haven't warmed up yet up here...:cold:........:crazy:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Red front/white rear are fairly common amongst the illegal set ups, but I've seen a flashing blue mounted on a helmet (which was actually very eye-catching but very, very illegal).
Bizarrely, not instantly illegal at all. The laws are all to do with the lights on the bike you can put whatever you fancy on the rider. Stupid, but then why should that surprise anyone.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've seen it before, it's very weird catching them up and worrying whether they are coming towards you.

And if they did it and decided to combine it with salmon ing so they were going against the flow (well if they aren't too bother by the rules), then they would increase their chances of being in an accident.

When it comes down to it, if you had an accident whilst having your light the wrong way round, it will come up in court AND the jury are likely to take it into consideration.

Top Bottom