rear mech hanger compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazK

Veteran
So I was literally on the point of ordering a Deore rear mech for my summer project (an 80s Falcon tourer) when a little voice made me go and check the rear hanger thread size. Here it is:

hanger

bolt size

Bloody enormous! Caliper shows to bolt at between 9mm and 10mm, but I couldn't make an M10 bolt go in the hanger - it was choking half a turn in. Can anyone tell me:

- is this hanger compatible with Deore?
- how can I attach a modern der to this bike?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
The derailleur to hanger bolt is not a standard metric thread. The thread pitch is around the 1 mm mark whereas M10 coarse is 1.5mm and M10 fine is 1.25mm so your bolt would not fit. As far as I know your bike will have the thread to accept the Deore derailleur.

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
The derailleur to hanger bolt is not a standard metric thread. The thread pitch is around the 1 mm mark whereas M10 coarse is 1.5mm and M10 fine is 1.25mm so your bolt would not fit. As far as I know your bike will have the thread to accept the Deore derailleur.

OK, thanks Gerry - looks like I'm OK. Must have been a bout of Imperial Paranoia... been having a few of those with this bike!

Top Bottom