rear mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
I think I might have buggered the threads either on the barrel adjuster (or the place it screws into) because I can only get it to screw in about 1/4 of the way that it should... does that seem likely/possible? or is there something else that might be causing the problem?

roubaix-elite-compact-14-670-75.jpg

and if i have f*cked the threads, then is it new mec time ?
angry.gif

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Looks as though it is already screwed in all the way to me? Do you need to relieve tension in the cable? If you do you might need to loosen the cable clamp and let a millimetre or two of cable ot then do fine adjustment on the barrel adjuster. If you do undo the cable clamp make sure the chain is on the smallest sprocket first!

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
oh thats just a pic i pulled from google, not sure if i was using the right word for the barrel adjuster...

on my actual one if i remove the black bit that you twist I can screw the threaded metal part into the mech about a 1/4 of the way then it just gets stuck, and if i replace the black bit on the cable I can't get it to go even that far.

PeterD

Hi
Try undoing the cable retaining allen bolt first. Without seeing the actual mech I'd suggest setting up the mech from scratch instead of using the plastic cable adjuster etc Read this if it helps My link

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
oh thats just a pic i pulled from google, not sure if i was using the right word for the barrel adjuster...

on my actual one if i remove the black bit that you twist I can screw the threaded metal part into the mech about a 1/4 of the way then it just gets stuck, and if i replace the black bit on the cable I can't get it to go even that far.
It sounds like some of the thread has been damaged, your local bike shop may be able to use a thread cutter which may work; often happens when the adjuster is screwed right out with a short outer casing so most shops will have a thread cutter that size

Paul Smith

Touring Tips

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'll second that. A derailleur used in the winter gets a lot of corrosion in that thread. Whenever I change the cable on any of my derailleurs, I nearly always have to clean out the thread for the barrel adjuster with a tap.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
If it's corrosion, a wire brush run over the threads of the male part should clean it sufficiently (although it sounds painful!)

And, yes, a tap of the appropriate size run through the female part should clean out any corrosion in it and/or may sort out damage caused by cross-threading in the past. You can get a small set of metric taps and dies in any decent tool shop. At one time even B&Q did them. I think the size you need might be M5 (Mickle or Paul Smith will pop up in a minute with chapter and verse on this... I hope).

When you reassemble it, a dab of grease on the thread may help prevent corrosion in future.

Top Bottom