Rear Wheel bearings on our Trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annieben

Hi, everyone,I am from Warrington Cheshire , Im Annie, Mum to Ben, he s just 10 and dues to a disability rides a trike,he got a new viking for his birthday this week ,and he loves it.I decided that due to a few confidence wobbles i would buy Trike for my self, I have always loved the look of a pashley picador and because of the birthday expense for my sons Trike i decided i should look on ebay , well after spending £290.00 f plus £ 70.00 for courier to get it from st albans to me . I tried with all my might to pedal, when i did get it going it made the most horrendous noises, not good for my Autistic son who was horrified,left us in a filema, My hubby thinks its the rear wheel bearings, all i want to do is keep up with my son, any ideas what i should do everyone?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
any ideas what i should do everyone?

Given it is supposed to be in good condition, if the seller also arranged and paid for the freight (which you in turn paid the seller for of course) then they are also responsible for delivering it to you in good condition as far as ebay is concerned, and if the courier damaged it in transit then they will have to instigate the claim. In any case it is worthwhile letting the seller know about the problem.

I think it will be difficult to figure out what is wrong without examining it or with just the info you provided, perhaps some forum member closer by might be able to help. It could be something relatively simple like the brakes being out, to something trickier like the frame having been bent in transit. I suspect a problem with just the rear wheel bearings is unlikely to make it so hard to pedal.

OP
OP
A

annieben

Hi,Thanks
i arranged and paid for the courier, The trike hasnt shown any sign that it was damaged in transit, the brakes were stiff but now have been oiled and are free, the drive wheel is hard to turn, it was as if pedalling with the brakes on

Sterba

Über Member
Register a complaint directly with the seller as quickly as you can. Raise a dispute process with Ebay. Don't waste any time. Do this while trying to sort it out. In view of the high shipping costs, get it to your local bike shop and ask them to identify the problem and quote for fixing it, and then pass these details to the seller and to Ebay. Ask him to agree to recompense you.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
In view of the high shipping costs, get it to your local bike shop and ask them to identify the problem and quote for fixing it, and then pass these details to the seller and to Ebay. Ask him to agree to recompense you.

Not meaning to be pedantic, but since the OP has the freight contract, any damage sustained in transit should not be the seller's responsibility. In an ideal world the trike's condition should have been checked upon pickup to make it easier to apportion blame, but I do appreciate this is easier said than done with a third party courier.

Unless, of course, that fault can be proven by e.g. the LBS that it could not have been caused during transit. We can also ask ourselves how likely is it for a seller to advertise a trike to be in good condition, and in particular for collection only, if it suffered such a glaringly obvious fault?

However given the way ebay buyer protection works it is likely possible for the OP to return the trike and get her money back (probably even if it was damaged during transit, no matter how unfair this is to the seller), but either way she would have to pay for freight both ways as far as ebay is concerned.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Sending the trike back would be at the buyers expense. My first stop would be to contact the seller and explain the problem. Second stop would be the Local Bike Shop and get an appraisal and a quote for the fix. It may be a simple cheap fix. Then it would be back to the seller with the quote to see if I could come to some agreement.

In the end Annie may have to pay for the fix herself and put it down to experience.

Steve

Top Bottom