Rear wheel hub / hub driver detached

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zhubarb

Hello,

This is my first time on the forum. I have a >10 year old bike. Yesterday as I was riding it, the rear wheel started to feel quite wobbly to the extent that I felt it was not safe to continue riding it.

When I checked the wheel, it looks like the "hub" (or the "hub driver") detached from the round bit that the spokes are attached to. Please find attached an image, and excuse my potential misuse of the component part names, I am very much not a bike expert.

Given the description & image, is there a way to salvage / repair this rear wheel, or would I need to get a new one?

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks a lot.

20231124_091041.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
Assume you have removed the wheel from the frame to examine it/
How many 'speeds' (number of rear sprockets) and let's have an image of the sprockets from that side, with the axle nut (and washers if any) removed?
What state are the spokes in? Are they all a lovely silver colour, after you've given the wheel a good wash and clean?

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
Where do we start? If I were you I'd get it down to your LBS. See what they suggest. The hub is starting to come apart and god knows what state the cassette/screw on block is in after ten years because it looks like the original. If you really fancy having a go at fixing it yourself you'll need to fork out on some tools is my guess. It'll be cheaper, in the short term, to get a mechanic to fix it.

Top Bottom