Rear wheel troubles, again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazmercer

Sorry for the useless title.

Back wheel on my Apollo MTB decided to start the usual wobble again yesterday. Tightened it up best I could in work so I was OK getting home. Decided to have a proper look today. Removed the axle and bearings and stuff, cleaned em all up ready to go back on when I noticed the thing that holds the bearings was bent totally out of shape. Too late to go the LBS for parts. Anyway, I'm sick to the back teeth with this wheel and all it's recent problems so tomorrow I will be buying a new wheel.

Suppose it serves me right for buying a cheapo bike.

And to bring the thread on topic, I will be commuting on the Boardman tonight, WOOHOO !!!

EDIT : First time commute in my bib tights. Await much hilarity from the people I work with when they see me. Will be fun being clipped in too instead of flat trainers with toe clips.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I know what you mean re the cheap bikes - I bought an Apollo for my eight year old lad and they are sh8t.

He rides once and I have to spend three days making it rideable again.

Best advice I was given when I was looking to get into cycling, was to buy a good quality used bike. So long as they're looked after, they're much better than a supermarket new bike. So I did. I bought a well-used 10-year old Marin and commuted on that for 6 months.

Some bits needed replacing due to wear, but I got my money's worth through riding. Have upgraded to a new hyrbid now and using the Marin as a spare.

Moral of the story - you get what you paid for.

andyfromotley

gazmercer said:
Sorry for the useless title.

And to bring the thread on topic, I will be commuting on the Boardman tonight, WOOHOO !!!

EDIT : First time commute in my bib tights. Await much hilarity from the people I work with when they see me. Will be fun being clipped in too instead of flat trainers with toe clips.

oh gaz, you will be flying!!

OP
OP
gazmercer

gazmercer

andyfromotley said:
oh gaz, you will be flying!!

Ooooh yeh, I flew alright. I think I was up about 5mph and the whole commute was so much less of a struggle that I barely broke a sweat.

It's got me thinking about getting a secondhand roadie for commuting on now!!

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Bib tights for cold season... way to go.
Unbelievable how many people disdain good attire even on this forum.. just numpties really.... no draughts, no hoiking up every 5 minutes.. 'tis a pity mine own bit the dust last year and now having to make do ..until my postal order arrives

OP
OP
gazmercer

gazmercer

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread for a wee while.

I got off my arse today and went to sort the back wheel out on MTB, thought it only needed bearings. Local LBS guy checked the wheel and the hib was cracked due to me riding on it when the cones had come loose. So I got myself a nice new wheel (£20 and he moved the tyre, innner tube and gears onto new wheel. £35 was what Halfords quoted).

Anyway, new wheel is fitted and I changed the brake blocks over too while I was at it. I'm still going to commute on the Boardman and use the MTB for emergencies.

Hopefully this wheel will be a bit more reliable !!

Top Bottom