Recommend a bike for my sister

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hi

My sister is after a road bike. She's not sure whether she wants dropped bars or flat, so I'd like to give her a couple of recommendations of each. Her budget is £400, but could possibly stretch it a little.

Doesn't necessarily have to be women-specific - I guess only the saddle would need changing?

Cheers.

vickster

Legendary Member
On a roadbike, you may need to look at stem length and also handlebar width if not a women's specific

Specialized Vita, Giant Rapid (or whatever the women's option is)

£400 won't buy much in the way of a roadbike new - Decathlon Triban 3, I can't think of any new WSD ones

Hi

My sister is after a road bike. She's not sure whether she wants dropped bars or flat, so I'd like to give her a couple of recommendations of each. Her budget is £400, but could possibly stretch it a little.

Doesn't necessarily have to be women-specific - I guess only the saddle would need changing?

Cheers.
I could ask my wife if she wants to sell her Specialized Dolce, she used it once and decided she didn't like cycling! Lovely bike been kept indoors for last few years, it needs a good home!

Cyclist33

Hi

Cheers.

I would recommend flat bar because a) at the £400 budget you've got better flat bikes than drop ones and more choice, and b) if she finds she doesn't like drops (they don't suit all and everyone), that's 400 quid down the drain, whereas assuming she likes cycling anyway, everyone learns to ride on flat bars so she will not be disappointed.

Think the Giant Escape should be on the viewlist. Great frames. Good looks. There are several models around that price point, some are women's specific component and geometry and others too have step-through frames if she wants that. They are fast and light enough to go full-on for road riding and the wheels would take fairly narrow tyres but also fairly wide ones if she wanted to do a bit of light off-road.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Cheers all.
Specialized Dolce is on the list anyway, so I'll see if she wants to view Grant Fondo's wife's bike.

Top Bottom