Recommend a good compact sound system.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
If you also have a high ceiling, nothing will suit that size.

Try the clap test, if there's much of an echo you will struggle to get decent reproduction, whatever the equipment.

Ceilings are standard height (8' 0"ish). It is well carpeted and has a large(ish) 3 piece suite.
Never heard of the "clap test" but have tried it and there doesnt appear to be any echo.

gavintc

Guru
My lounge is actually quite big.......19' 0" long x 12' 0" wide......would it suit that size??
I have the sonos 1 in a similar sized room - my basement. But, in my main room where occasionally at parties I need to crank up the noise levels, I have sonos 5. It depends on your need for loud music. The sonos 1 will fill a room that size with music but not club level sound.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have the sonos 1 in a similar sized room - my basement. But, in my main room where occasionally at parties I need to crank up the noise levels, I have sonos 5. It depends on your need for loud music. The sonos 1 will fill a room that size with music but not club level sound.

Thanks.........we are definitely not into very loud music. I will look into those systems.

Stephenite

Membå
A neighbour went the Sonos route. It works very well. I wanted to be different, so this summer i went Sony. I bought a Sony SRS-X9. It's sold as a personal speaker, but fills the room with high quality sound. Definitely compact. Connects to everything except ANT+. I like it, but if i was rich i'd buy a seperates system with the same connectivity.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
We've got a TEAC Micro Hi-Fi.... 'plumbed' in and set up in the kitchen with only the control unit visible... it's fantastic with a sub woofer box and 2 speakers out of sight above the wall units.

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm getting worried about my ears. I'm not going deaf but I used to have good separates and some random JVC speakers that I loved. I spent ages moving things around and playing with EQ settings. Now I just use cheapish Bluetooth speakers and headphones and can no longer tell the difference.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I Bluetooth music from my phone to receivers plugged into headphone sockets of various sets of speakers in various rooms. Cheap, cheerful, does the business ☺

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
tube amp.jpeg
The only problem with those is they're the same depth as standard hifi so unless you've got deep bookshelves it won't fit!
Pah!

Budget? Usage requirements? Do you want to stream, play cd's or anything else? Are you after audiophile or something to make a background noise?
What's problem with speakers? If you are happy with their sound and they're working fine why change?

Stephenite

Membå
I'm getting worried about my ears. I'm not going deaf but I used to have good separates and some random JVC speakers that I loved. I spent ages moving things around and playing with EQ settings. Now I just use cheapish Bluetooth speakers and headphones and can no longer tell the difference.
It's not your ears, mate. It's what's in between them. Our brains are being retuned by all the tech sold to us. And how we are taught to interpret it. We have little time to listen to music now. Spotify, etc, have infiltrated our conscienceness (sp). We are but consumers of data.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I suppose it depends on the level of sophistication one wants and our house is a long way from having a hi fi buff!!

We now have 3 x Sonos 3 speakers. Connects very simply to iPhone or tablet and then controls the music played. Every speaker can play a different track at the same time, speakers can be grouped to play the same track in different rooms and two in the same room can be paired for stereo.

Huge range of radio stations available and some music services which I've never tried.

Issues? Sonos gets a bit "arsey" over some tracks from iTunes which it won't play. I think this is connected to Digital Rights but never got round to investigating. Also the wireless connection drops occasionally.

Got mine three years ago when we remembered we no longer had a working system and had a Christmas party planned in two days time. Popped down to PC World and was persuaded to buy one. Went home feeling very sceptical, the next morning I went back to get two more.

I've been nothing but delighted with Sonos. Take a look at the whole Sonos system and double check you can hook up what you buy to your TV if you want to improve that side of things at the same time.

Top Bottom