recommend a hybrid bike for my idyllic commute...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craghopper

Please receommend a hybrid bike for me. My budget is £300.

I live and work in the Lake District (I know :biggrin:) and am about to start a new job about 10 miles away. The route consists of varied B and C roads: often narrow and twisty and steep in places (so good brakes and gears are needed). The route,for those who know the Lakes, is Chapel Stile to Sawrey.

I am:
male
not unfit but no athlete (I run for 20-30 minutes 2-3 X's per week)
short legged (5'7" with a 30" inside leg)

I've been commuting by bike 12-mile round trip for a few months, using my wife's 1999-vintage Trek 200 Navigator, the style and ergonomics of which I like. But now I want to get something of my own.

Any suggestions?

g00se

Veteran
Due to the hills - and the fact you're be staying on the roads - you need the lightest bike you can get.

Best bet is to try some out in the shops as at that price, most bikes at this price will use similar components. If you want flat handlebars, something like a Specialized Sirrus is very light compared to others in the price-range - though they tend to be around £400 unless you can find one of last year's models at a discount.

OP
OP
C

craghopper

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at those two. The Sirrus is nice but perhaps too road-orientated for my liking (the one I tried came with slicks). I do perhaps 70% road 30% paths/tracks so need something that can handle both.

The Carrera is only available through Halfords (25 miles away) and I'd rather get something more local for ease of aftercare.

I am currently considering the Trek 7.1fx (£350), the Marin Larkspur (£400) or the Ridgeback Velocity (£380). Any views on these? I have tried all three and liked them all. Is there any reason to go for one over another?

I am still waiting for my Cycle Scheme go-ahead to come through (delay with personnel) so am still considering my options.

g00se

Veteran
Hi,

Edinburgh Rev bikes have a good reputation. Of those two, the first might be a bit undergeared if you're rushing down a hill or trying to hit some speed. The other has 26" wheels so a bit too mountain bikey?

Of the others, they're all quite good - though you can probably get a better price on the trek - see if you can find a FX7.3 in your price range.

I have, and would recommend a Kona Dew Plus (I've got the 2009 model) - for £300, you should be able to get a standard Kona Dew.

Top Bottom