Recommend me please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
OK, long weekend approaching, weather is good and a new teepee tent to test. Two nights three days within hundred or so miles of Whitstable. Ideally no busy roads and NCN routes and history nearby and accessible by train. Figure I will need to go through London whatever. Any recommendations good folks of CC?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't help you with a route I'm afraid but wouldn't have thought you need to go through London. How about heading over to Canterbury and then down to South coast past Eastbourne?
Have to say I'm very jealous.
Of course it's got to be a teepee :becool:.
Good luck.

I've no idea of your geography but Cycle.Travel has a "suggest a route" feature. Put in your start point, specify a distance and it will offer up to three, round-trip options. Not happy? Hit the button again for three more.
Obviously a bit of checking is advisable but its routes are generally quiet and interesting, although it tends to skirt towns.
You could start at home or at a train destination.
It'll show Archie's registered campsites too if you ask it nicely^_^
(I know you're not a tech head but you can use it to provide inspiration and then plot it out on your own maps etc.)

Alternatively, pick a place or places you want to visit then make a route between them all!

Or just go hippy and set off with no route, a good book and follow whatever road looks good until you find a place to camp, presuming stealth camping is an option. With no destination there's no pressure, you've all the time in the world to stop, appreciate, chat or read.

Have fun and don't forget the Travelogue subforum!

P.S. Tepee tents are great, although I found pitching to be tricky the first few times. They really appreciate a flat surface.
I'm curious though as to how big it is to accommodate the bike and why you want to put the bike inside? On mine I could have put half the bike under cover (flat) but getting in and out would have been very tricky.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I've no idea of your geography but Cycle.Travel has a "suggest a route" feature. Put in your start point, specify a distance and it will offer up to three, round-trip options. Not happy? Hit the button again for three more.
Obviously a bit of checking is advisable but its routes are generally quiet and interesting, although it tends to skirt towns.
You could start at home or at a train destination.
It'll show Archie's registered campsites too if you ask it nicely^_^
(I know you're not a tech head but you can use it to provide inspiration and then plot it out on your own maps etc.)

Alternatively, pick a place or places you want to visit then make a route between them all!

Or just go hippy and set off with no route, a good book and follow whatever road looks good until you find a place to camp, presuming stealth camping is an option. With no destination there's no pressure, you've all the time in the world to stop, appreciate, chat or read.

Have fun and don't forget the Travelogue subforum!

P.S. Tepee tents are great, although I found pitching to be tricky the first few times. They really appreciate a flat surface.
I'm curious though as to how big it is to accommodate the bike and why you want to put the bike inside? On mine I could have put half the bike under cover (flat) but getting in and out would have been very tricky.

Thanks Hobbes, I shall look at the site. The teepee is a 4 person around 2.5 m across I think from memory. Only 5 kilos which is worth it for the space for me. I will of course document my adventures.

Gwylan

Veteran
OK, long weekend approaching, weather is good and a new teepee tent to test. Two nights three days within hundred or so miles of Whitstable. Ideally no busy roads and NCN routes and history nearby and accessible by train. Figure I will need to go through London whatever. Any recommendations good folks of CC?

Go west young person. East you will get your feet wet.
Not a million miles from Whitstable and I am delighted by the vast number of little quiet lanes that can be quietly explored.
Camping opportunities are another matter. There is a site at Painters Forstal and the Alma.
Circuit of Sheppey, if you've had all your injections.
The post nuclear landscape of the Medway Towns.
A Railcard and £3 ish ticket will get you quite a long way. A £3.20 return will give you even more choice.
Keep us posted.

Top Bottom