Recommend some clipless MTB pedals (knee issue)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
To cut a long stort short i have a problem with my right knee, been there years and being a typical bloke never have got it looked at (will be soon i think as it's getting to be an issue with future plans). I did a 60 mile charity ride last year and wsa in agony at the end of it :blush:

I commute 10 miles daily and the knee doesn't generally give me problem as this distance but i want to do longer rides more regularly.

I have got myself my first set of cycle shoes (Lidl jobs), which i have been impressed with, they make such a difference from trainers!

Now for the move to clipless pedals to go with them. My initial thoughts where Shimano 520's as i can get them for £20 but a chat with a regular cyclist lead me towards looking for something with more 'float' and to look at the Time Atac (Alium or Roc) as they get rave reviews from other 'knee sufferers'.

Anything else that anyone can recommend or comments on the above? Don't want to spend much more than the cost of the Time Roc Atac @ ~ £60

Thanks!

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
knowbody? :sad:

I'll go with whatever takes my fancy at the time then :biggrin:

ChristinaJL

I have dodgy knees too and the shimano pedals don't help. I went with expensive speedplay light action pedals as they're easy to clip in and out and have a load of float. Best pedals I've got, but you can only use them with road shoes that have 3 holes in the bottom. I've yet to find a mtb spd that I find comfy. The local mtb centre told me that the crank brothers pedals were good, but I can't vouch for them yet myself. I got some studded platforms to try out first, but the pedals the shop recommended were these ones:- http://www.wiggle.co...-candy-1-pedal/

ChrisKH

Guru
The Speedplay frog MTB pedals can be used with MTB shoes which are ideal for commuting/light walking and are what I have on my road bike. Loads of float but a complete bugger to set up though.

I have crap knees too; three surgeries. But with the frogs and correct set up I can do 60-70 miles comfortably and once completed 117 miles with just mild knee pain in the last ten miles.

Get the knee seen to first.

Top Bottom