Recommended car roof bike racks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonk

I've been looking into the options for getting a bike rack for my car. It would be for 3 bikes. I have pretty much discounted all rear racks as I have a hatchback and am convinced that they would all obscure the rear lights and registration plate. I don't want the expense of adding connections for a lightboard. Also, they all look like they would ended up resting on the back window which I am not comfortable with.

My main issue with the roof options is the struggle of getting the bikes up there. I am getting on in age, not getting any younger and suffer with back issues from time to time. However, I think the roof option is my only option. Are there any that you would recommend?

13 rider

Guru
Thule range ,expensive yes but solid , I use the one where you remove the front wheel and secure it through the axle or quick release , came standard with quick release fitting through axle adaptor was extra ,
Pros very secure (I believe more secure than clamping the frame),
Downsides in your case 3 wheels in the car
Middle 1 will be a stretch to reach from either side
The ultimate answer is a tow bar mounting rack but with obvious expenditure.

drkash

Roofbox have a good selection. Atera roof bars are good and reasonably priced.

For the bike carriers Thule Proride 598 are good and easy to use.

Check eBay or FB as often can get them cheaper.

I use a foldable stool to help reach my 4x4 roof

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Whatever you get, as above, a smallish stool of some description - we had a plastic one when not in use, turned upside down and out helmets and other bits in
We had a Ford Xmax which was rather high and wide and like you didn't want to put my back out getting bikes on and off

Top Bottom