Recovering from a Fractured Clavicle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark_Robson

On Tuesday I took a tumble after slipping in the wet and ended up with a fractured collar bone. The good news is that the bike is ok but I'm stuck with a shoulder restraint that stops me from doing just about anything.
My question is, does anyone have any experience of recuperating from this type of injury and how long can I expect to be laid up. The consultant reckons 8 to 12 weeks for a full recovery but I have signed up for the Northern Rock Cyclone on 12th June. Any thoughts?

Take your time I have had an identical injury and probably overdid it when getting back to being active with the result it has not healed properly - we all read about the pros being back on their bikes in no time at all but they get surgical intervention straight away rather than letting it heal naturally

davidg

get surgery and back on the turbo in a week!

no seriously take it easy. I fractured my tuberculum majus last year which is probably more serious, but it takes a while and physio is key. Just do what you are comfortably doing and listen to your body and physio/doctor

OP
OP
Mark_Robson

Mark_Robson

Thanks for the replies guys, I wonder if this may the excuse that I need to buy a turbo trainer to keep in shape? I should be able to manage that sitting up and only using my good arm.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i fractured a ligament in my collarbone after a crash. my advice is to beware the lay-off-the-bike advice from the consultant. he kept me off for two months (fair enough) and then wanted to keep me off for two more. i took exception (i could ride without pain) and told him that as cycling was my way of keeping fit that i stood to lose more than gain from such a long lay-off. i also made the point that it was a training crash that could be easily avoided. he then said it was fine for me to ride.

don't be afraid to challenge the consultant.

iirc tyler hamilton rode a full tour de france weeks after breaking a collarbone.

Bokonon

Über Member
I got myself a turbo trainer after breaking my clavicle. I was off the road for 12 weeks and spent the last 4 weeks doing sessions on the turbo. It was incredibly boring, but it kept my strength up - I was able to ride Phil and Friends a week after getting back on the roads.

gavintc

Guru
I had a similar break in late Mar last year. It was early summer before I was back cycling on the bike, but I was able to ride the turbo within about 6 weeks. I was part of a trial for a new procedure to treat collar bones and have been back to the hospital every 3 months for a follow up X ray. The last one was about a month ago and I was quite surprised that even at the 11 month point, the bones had not completely healed, there is still a shadow in between. It does take time.

When I did get back on the bike, I found the vibration from the road did hurt a little and was only able to cope with short rides initially.

OP
OP
Mark_Robson

Mark_Robson

Well after three weeks of wearing a shoulder restraint for 24/7 I went back to the fracture clinic today for another x ray and an appointment with the consultant.
The break doesn't look much better on today's xray than it did when the accident happened, which is very very disappointing as I have been very careful to rest the break. I can't drive for at least another three weeks and I now need to start physio. The good news though is that I don't have to wear the shoulder restraint any more and they have given me a collar and cuff to wear when required, which means that I can sleep without anything supporting my shoulder. Most of the bruising has faded now and I only wake my wife and myself up 8 times a night trying to roll onto my left hand side. lol
I am getting quite adept at doing things with my right hand though, I couldn't find my mouth with a fork for the first few days but now I can just about everything right handed.
I am really disappointed that I am not as far down the road to recovery as I had hoped. BUT I'm still aiming to do the Northern Rock Cyclone in June. :biggrin:

Top Bottom