Recumbent Trike on Jogle ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steeleye

Hello … new to this ! I am considering Lejog or Jogle next year on my Ice recumbent trike. I cant however find reports, or advice on the project from Trikers who have done it. Thinking of next May ...I am 83 and ride 20 to 40 miles once or twice a week around Pembrokeshire. Any one out there ? Ted

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome: Best of luck with your planning. Apart from a few bits in Cornwall and Devon, the amount of climb will be less than Pembrokeshire. Set a sensible daily target and you'll be fine. Do you think trikers' experience will be usefully different to two wheelers? Only stretch I can think of which might be a bit tight is the Strawberry Line (Axbridge north on NCN25).

I've done Home -> LE -> JoG -> Home three times sofar on my ICE trike.
It's fairly easy as long as the weather's good and you don't try and go to far in a day.
I like to try get fit enough to do roughly 200-250 a week around Northampton before I set off.

Cornwall and Devon are tough with a lot of short and steep hills, even when cycling fit I'll only do 30-40 miles a day with a camping load.
The middle bit's easy, just basic route finding.
Scotland is also relatively easy as the hill are long but most of them aren't silly steep.
I tend to stick to roads as I don't trust cycle tracks not to have a silly anti-cycling barrier somewhere along its route.

Luck .......... ^_^

OP
OP
S

Steeleye

Thanks for your reply 'Veteran.
A few questions … if you don't mind. Did you stay in BandBs, hostels or camp ? How did you carry the necessary baggage or were you accompanied ? Thoughts on a trailer rather than loaded paniers. Which model Trike do you have … mine is a Sprint, 20" wheels, and did you have any issues or have any tips ? That will do for now...thanks in advance, Ted.

Setup:-
I've an ICE Sprint modded slightly to my specs.
As I lost an arm to a Tiger attack, it's set up with all the hand controls (brakes/gear change) on the right hand side. This is why I ride a bent trike and not an upwrong bike.
I also find the hard shell at it's most reclined fits me better.
But the major mod was the gears. I've a Schlumpf HSD with twin chainring on the front and a Rohloff built into a 20" wheel on the back. This gives me an ultra wide gear range of 9.4"-178". Even with a full camping load, in first gear only hills steeper than 20% are hard work and it's very rare for me to spinout on descents.
I've a set of radiclesidebags on the seat-rack.
Plus I've a large Carry Freedom trailer with an aluminium box bolted straight to the frame.
This gives me around 100 liters volume for roughly 10 kg extra weight.
For power I've a Son hub dynamo to keep my sat nav charged and a 20 watt solar panel on the trailer to keep any cache batteries/ other devices charged.
I've always camped on my tours with the very odd hotel/bb if the weather got very bad.

Issues:-
Trying to follow Sustrans routes. Illogical routes with bad signing with unknown surfaces ranging from good tramac through rough macadam to a mud track in an open grass field with the odd impassable anti-cycling barrier add for "fun" ..... :sad:. I'm not a fan of them and will only try to follow one if I feel like it.
The odd uphill stretch on a narrow twisty road when it's busy due to speed difference around blind bends leading to dangerously bad overtakes. It's rare as it tends to be the case of "wrong place at the wrong time" but it can happen. Tends to happen around rush hour going into/out of a city/large town so I may adjust the time I setoff/finish to help mitigate it if it's possible.
Rear tyre wear in the wet on steep hills. I use a 50-406 Big Apple tyre on the back just for this reason. I've found there's more more rubber to wear away before you reach any vital on this tyre compared to lighter tyres so it lasts longer. Not vital on a short 1,000 mile JOGLE but could be on a longer +4,000 mile tour. Try finding somewhere that sells good 20" tyres outside a main city ...... ^_^

Luck .......... ^_^

Top Bottom