Recumbent Trike Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The E-assist route works for us , the e-trikes give us over 15 miles miles range at an average speed over 12.5 mph with little effort , yes it destroys "the man and machine " syndrome but allows us to get places in the same time as it took when we were 20 years younger , and allows us to ride normally when we don't want to " keep up with the Jones ".

regards emma

byegad

Legendary Member
The ride profile of a recumbent trike is very different from a DF. Given equal 'engines' the trike will be slower up hill by quite a margin, slower on the flat by a (very?) small margin and seriously faster than the DF down any kind of hill worth the name.

When out with a mixed group it behoves the DF riders to let the trikes pass on the down hills, and the trikes to return the compliment up hill. While the trike will almost certainly be slower over the whole ride the difference is not that great, if this method of riding is used.

In my experience Big Apples at 70psi can be pretty quick, although if you are fast enough on the flat to make aero a consideration they will get draggy at 15-20mph+. I've used Kojaks, which were no faster than three Big Apples, Marathons, which were much slower than Big Apples and Marathon Racers which are a bit faster than Big Apples. I'm told that Marathon Supremes are pretty good and Trykers are excellent.

I'd ditch the Marathon today if I were you! I sympathise with your husband, but when my wife rode with me, on an identical folding bike, I felt I'd not done any exercise while she had been working hard. I was cycling nearly every day including a 16mile there and 16mile back commute to work. She rode once a week. If your husband were to descend all hills at close to walking pace then works to catch you up on the flat and up hill he'll get a better workout, but frankly if your fitness levels differ by a fair amount a tandem of some sort is the only answer.

In my experience Big Apples at 70psi can be pretty quick............ Marathons, which were much slower than Big Apples and Marathon Racers which are a bit faster than Big Apples.

I'd not responded to SNSSO as I've not been able to come to an objective conclusion yet on my 'bent tyres. Then @byegad posted.....

Interesting evaluation. I fitted M+ to my Performer 20/26 'bent when I bought it in November, and swapped for M Racers in the spring. I've not been able to see any difference in my average speeds with maybe 1000 miles on the M+ and 300 on the Racers - but I need a bit more data yet on the Racers.

I like Marathon Supremes 42-406 at around 65 psi on the front of my trike.
They tend not to puncture unless you get unlucky.
Trykers work well if there isn't any flint/glass shards around. If there is then they tend to pick them up more than Supremes and puncture more.

As for speed, it will come as you improve your fitness and build up your bent legs.
For at least the first four month after I first got my bent trike, any uphill and I was in first gear going 2.5 mph.
I'm faster now after doing +40k miles but still a lot slower than a DF bike.
My way of explaining it is a bent trike goes at MTB speeds uphill and Road bike speeds down.

One work around if you do want to cycle together could be a Hase Pino .... :biggrin:

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
The issue is that I don't seem to be improving, though I know I am. My average in hills (20 miles with 1000 feet of climbing) is around the 8mph mark. On the flat over 20 miles it is around the 9mph mark. So I don't think hill are really the issue. The issue is my overall speed and yes I know I am partially paralysed and all that, but I was simply looking at ways of helping improve that speed, not adding tandems or etrikes to the equation, neither of which I want or am interested in. I am actually looking at taking my road or mtb bike up to Scotland in October as I know the roads are quiet enough for me to try to ride one of them again with the 'husband must be on my right when I stop so I can grab is shoulder for balance' option which will be essential.

My ticker below will tell you how much riding I have done since I got the trike and started riding again (beginning of March) despite a major spine op part way through May. I thought I had covered enough miles to have started to get there.

Thank you @byegad and @Tigerbiten for the information on the tyres. It is most helpful.

My way of explaining it is a bent trike goes at MTB speeds uphill and Road bike speeds down.
I'm still nowhere near the average between my mtb and my road averages and I simply can't put all of it down to the paralysis. My leg is actually quite good when in the trike and I can help it with my hand if necessary. My uphill speed has come along considerably. Hills I was in 1st gear for before, I am now in 5th or 6th (on the Rohloff hub on the inner chainring) which is great. It is the overall speed that is not really improving much or is just downright slow. Downhill is OK, had fun annoying the hell out of 2 roadies who cut me up on a ride during the week. I sat there on their tail with my rear brake squealing at them for the entire decent (they pulled out of a side road into my path at the top of a fast decent and never said hello, acknowledge I existed or even gave way when they should have) :whistle:).

One of the reasons that we switched to a recumbent for the wife was her inability to stop safely on an upright

You cannot guarantee to have a support and a fall is not something to contemplate

It is a personal choice, but we went down the electric route with a Bionx as it suited our needs

It is not a "motor," but an "assist"

You can use it in a "free mode" where the motor is in neutral then "dial in" 25,50.100 or 200% assistance as you need it

This enables her to exercise and also have support when needed as she tires

andyreeves9

A friend of mine, 5 years younger, has just dealt with his first year as a widower after his wife was killed during their round the world cycling trip. I know he'd happily take on any disability to hear her voice again.

I think you're doing all you can and you probably both need patience with yourselves and each other. Hang in there. :hugs:
i am a disabled geezer myself ,after a stroke robbed me of the use of my lft limbs i've improved to the extent i can do 15 miles on a recumbant exercise machine does anyoneknow an outlet in the midlands that can advise/allow me to try one out?i've seen cycles by ICE and wincheetah but the prices scare the sh*t out of me!!

andyreeves9

As I see it ,

what choice do you have ? , either go the assist route

OR

Get the other half a trike ( thats what I did )

or get a pair of ear plugs

regards emma
don't give up x

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Keep at it SNSSO, I think coming from where you were, you still have time to improve on your trike. I am 3 years into bent riding and I never had a magic moment where I decided I had my "bent legs".
With weekly rides where I pushed myself I got to averaging 15-16mph over 30 miles. Last year after a few months where my shoulders were too painful to put the miles in I struggled to reach 13mph and this year where I am averaging 300 miles a month, I have not yet managed to get above 12mph.
I probably don't push myself enough as I am happy just bimbling along.
You and your husband have a great deal of adapting and coming to terms with things to do and hopefully you will find compromises that work for you both.....
I understand your reluctance to consider e assist and I am equally reluctant to consider it.......yet.
I think that in time, you will be abe to build up some more speed, in the mean time your husband may just have to find pleasure out of cycling slower to keep you company. (Maybe consider a fixie or single speed to give him more of a challenge)
I must say that changing to shorter cranks has helped me - not sure what you're running?)
When I changed to shorter cranks, I should have lengthened the boom slightly to compensate, but I found the virtual slightly shorter boom meant I could push better from the base of my seat especially going uphill.
Keep at it - it WILL get easier.

My speed is not an average of between a MTB and a Road bike.
It's how my trike goes.
Anything I can keep up with going uphill, I leave for dead going down and vice versa.

Even though I've had my trike for 6 years now and done +40k miles, my average speed over rolling terrain, ~1000 feet climbing in 20 miles, is still only around 12 mph.
I can get up to 15-16 mph on a flat run but I don't expect it to be much over 8 mph on a lumpy run.
I found that I didn't really improve my speed until I did my first long tour, doing 30-50 miles days for 12 weeks really helped build my bent legs.
So after 1000 mile you've only just got your bent legs and you'll still improve as you keep going.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
.. I was simply looking at ways of helping improve that speed, not adding tandems or etrikes to the equation, neither of which I want or am interested in.

Not arguing with you, but have you tried them? You don't know till you try.

My missus and I aren't so different in fitness or ability, but our Hase Pino does allow us to cycle together at the same speed regardless of how tired one of us may be. It's a different kind of cycling, but no more different from an upright single than a recumbent trike is. It may be worth a trip to JD tandems to try one - it'll be a good day out anyway. Or come over and have a go with ours.

Encephrich

Late to the fray again.. and probably know less than most but t'upence worth here :smile: -
currently fitted Schwalbe trykers (all round) and only about 800kms so no long term info re wear. I tend to tour at about 7mph (although topped out lots faster downhill) as I tend to like stopping to look & photo rather than the race-er members.
Not as bullet, or Bramble proof as other Schwalbes but have only had two flats to date; although the last one looked suspiciously like a pin hole when fixing the inner!
unfortunately for some they only manufacture as 40-406 so not available for larger rear wheels.
anyway here's some links, hopefully helps, good or bad! :whistle:

http://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=8336
http://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/tryker.html

Top Bottom