red bull, recovery and speedometers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

77spud

hi everyone, i've found this forum very useful as i'm new to cycling. i only really started in december as i'm training for a charity ride down the Pacific Coast in the States next month, San Fran to San Diego. i bought the Bianchi Infinito in Jan and i absolutely love it. last weekend i did my hardest riding yet, 160 miles (2 X 80 Brighton to Dorking and back).

So, a few months in and a few questions have sprung up, if anyone could take the time to answer them it would be greatly appreciated...

1. Speedometers - are these useful and accurate or are they a gimmick? if it is worth getting one then how much more beneficial are the expensive one (i've seen a Cateye one reduced from £120 to £80) but also some for £20.

2. Does anyone use Assos cycling gear and is it noticeable in improved performance? by the way i don't especially want Assos gear but i'm curious to know if this sort of gear has an impact in performance, as i wear 'Skins' when playing cricket and i think they are great, and i've noticed they have gone into the cycling market as well. In fact, Skins now make 'recovery tights' which sounds awesome since my legs are a bit stiff today - do any of you guys use anything like this after training? apparently they increase circulation and reduce lactic build up.

Thanks

Nice Bike :smile:

I find Speedos are good for your own personal training. I run with a gamin rdge (gps enabled) computer and I find very good for accuracy. The more expensive one if wireless tend to suffer less interference. And in general theres more features on more expensive ones, cadence, HRM, altitude, gps, etc. Only you can really decide if its worth it fo you.

I don't have any Assos stuff but lots of cyclists do, it supposed to be quality stuff and gets good reviews, its a tad expensive though IMO.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Speedos (or cycle computers) are only as accurate as the person who set them up, you have to measure the wheel diameter when you put them on the bike, but it is not difficult. Useful, yes and no, depends on whether you are interested in knowing on how far you have cycled and how fast. Personally I like having one and keeping a record of my travels. I would recommend getting a VDO as they are reliable, good quality and come with a 5 year warranty.

OP
OP

77spud

thanks for the responses HL / HJ. i was actually wondering how they are accurate so you have hinted at the answer! i'll have a think about the speedo, i'm not sure average speed and exact milage are essential to me, as i like to cycle at a pace depending on how i'm feeling, and i find using google earth you can work out pretty accurately how far you have cycled. but i'll keep an eye out, might see one in the sales!

Garz

Squat Member
Im with HJ, although brands of computer are much of a muchness as long as they are calibrated properly.

Top Bottom