Regular commuters on the A27

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Number14

Guru
I've been commuting regularly along the A27 between Fareham and Eastleigh for 9 months now and I'm amazed by the number of other "regulars" who are too miserable to say good morning or even offer a nod of greeting. It's independent of bike type and particularly peeved me on the long slow climbs.

PLEASE say hello or good morning/afternoon, it makes a bit of difference and doesn't cost anything.

I'm either on the blue recumbent or the tricross.

:hello: Hi. Good morning.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I can understand people waving when riding country lanes or whatever, but why would you expect someone on a commute on an A road to wave?

Honest question - personally I don't se why cyclists should wave at one another...

Sailorchick

My husband does similar commute - Woolston to either Swanick or Fareham (depending on how far he feels like as he then gets the train).

I'm sure he'd say hi/wave as he was telling me all about a friend he made on the way home last night. They actually rode all the way from Fareham into Soton together.

There are a few regulars I see on my commute who always acknowledge you in some way but most are just in their own little world I think.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think it's lovely when someone waves back, it brings a little smile to my day. I have quite a few regulars I wave to on my commute.

I'm about to start a commute from Portsmouth to Southampton for six weeks. I'll wave if I see you.

Actually while I'm here, what's the best way through Fareham without using the elevated section of the A27?

User269

I can never understand why people get so vexed about fellow riders nor responding to your greetings. It's up to them. It's nice if we all acknowledge each other, but not obligatory. If you want to greet other riders do so, I always do*, but don't expect them to respond.

*Except when descending Mont Ventoux.

- Baz -

I'm lucky to have bike parking in a secure basement garage at work. There are about ten 'V' shaped wall-mounted brackets (too close together) and all used every day. Bikes range from MTBs to stripped down racers (one with a seat post about a foot out of the seat post, but I digress...)

I usually arrive at around 8:40 and sometimes meet a fellow cyclist arriving the same time as me. In the beginning I was all 'Hail, fellow! Well met!' (not my exact words of course, but a similar cheery greeting with a comment about the traffic/weather, whatever).

Responses? I was usually regarded as some sort of alien. Most, no ALL, of my fellow workers/cyclists (I refuse to call them colleagues) look like this ->
wacko.gif

I've now given up. What is the matter with people? The OP is right. It doesn't cost anything to acknowledge a fellow human bean.

Well, a pox on the lot of them, I say! Miserable tw*ts.

I'm about to start a commute from Portsmouth to Southampton for six weeks. I'll wave if I see you.

Actually while I'm here, what's the best way through Fareham without using the elevated section of the A27?

Where from and to?

Fareham is not well designed... if you let me know I can advise

OP
OP
Number14

Number14

Guru
:eek:
I can understand people waving when riding country lanes or whatever, but why would you expect someone on a commute on an A road to wave?

Honest question - personally I don't se why cyclists should wave at one another...

I don't want them to :hello:, a simple nod, hello or any acknowledgement to brighten up a 6.30 am commute would be nice - for both parties, I'm sure.

...and you wonder why people dont smile and seem pleased to see you?:thumbsup:

Their brains usually go into mental lockdown with an open mouth stare :eek: from my experience.

Along the A27 and turn right on the Quay Street roundabout and go through town. The elevated section is ok but the road surface between there and the station roundabout is poo. Another alternative is to use the Gosprt fery and go towards Southampton via Lee on Solent and Titchfield.

Top Bottom