Rejuenated 60s Soens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@biggs682
@Dean Griffin
@Bill Soens
@Rob Elliott
@sittingbull
@Sharky
@DonSchwann
@Tony Smith

Hi folks,

This is an update on the current status of the Bill Soens #777 bike (frame?). As earlier stated, I acquired this bike last September. Initially, I gave it a quick check and tune up so I could ride it. I found the bike to be quick, efficient and reasonably comfortable. During these early rides the only issues were that the handle bars were too narrow and the seat was uncomfortable. Everything else worked well.

During a trip to the local bike co-op for wider bars, I picked up a Weinmann 730 side pull brake set with drilled levers to replace the Dia Compes, and a new seat post. While changing out these components, I also swapped the freewheel for one with a wider ratio. Plus, added a comfortable saddle from another bike. I put quite a few miles on the bike in this configuration before the doctor restricted my cycling in late October.

While under this restriction, I searched for period correct components, but these are hard to come by. They are either in very poor condition or are extremely expensive. Because of this, I decided to do what some refer to as a restoration +1. This process uses the next generation of the same brand/level of components while maintaining the originality of the bike.

The bike is now equipped with a Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport drive train (similar to the one on Dean Griffin’s bike), the lovely Milremo stem (original?) & GB bars, a fluted seat post and Weinmann 605 brakes. It’s still rolling on the Campagnolo Triomphe/Mavic wheels that it came to me with. Since the frame has braze-ons for barcons, I’ve added them. Although they aren’t period correct, I choose Suntour barcons because they are readily available and function better than earlier Campagnolo ones. In the pictures, it has a leather saddle, vintage style gum wall tires. The handle bars tape is a leftover from a previous project and is not right, but it’s growing on me. A nice brown faux leather or cork would probably look more appropriate.

I’ve spent the last couple of weeks rebuilding the bike with the acquired components. I started by stripping it down. Then I removed the very few rust spots. Next, I touched up the bare metal spots and the larger chips in the paint. After letting these dry, I rubbed out and polished the paint. It may pass the “10 foot” test, but at 5 feet, it looks like a well used old bike. After this, I reassembled the bike with the “new” components. I’ve put a few miles on it and it’s all dialed in. I’m always impressed with the way things come together on these projects. Unfortunately, my doctor has me off the bike for the next few weeks.

On a side note: This bike appears to have been repainted. There is thick white paint under the thinner blue paint. Also, the transfers/decals may not be correct. According to information from H. Lloyd Cycles, the transfers are more applicable to a Jim Soens bike. It is their opinion that Eddie Soens labeled bikes had the complete name on the down tube and the head badge included the full name and/or the Boaller Road address. I would appreciate those with more Soens knowledge chiming in on this info. Hopefully, Bill will see this post and respond.

Thanks and regards,
Soens 2left.jpg
Soens 1right.jpg
P1010862A.JPG
P1010859A.JPG
P1010859A.JPG P1010862A.JPG Soens 1right.jpg Soens 2left.jpg
Van Pennington, AKA Senior Ryder

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Senior Ryder I still think that is a good looking machine and having owned and ridden it myself I am speaking from experience.

Please keep us updated and keep enjoying the old girl.

Bill Soens

Über Member
OK, this is a fairly basic frame with 531 tubing that I would have built about 1962-3, mainly to address the clubman who wanted a bike that could be used for both club-runs and local races etc. It has been resprayed and the wrong transfers fitted, which is understandable since my own "decals" had all been destroyed yonks ago.

Originally it would have had "Eddie Soens" on the down tube, SoenSport along the lefthand chainstay and the Liver Bird/Eddie Soens Logo on the head and seat tubes.

It should be a very comfortable bike to ride with a 72 deg head angle and either a 73 or 72 deg seat.

Nice to see these things still around.

OP
OP
Senior Ryder

Senior Ryder

@Bill Soens
@biggs682
@Tony Smith

Hi Bill,

Thanks again for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated. As a retired Yank of English ancestry, I enjoy the history of post WWII vintage bicycles, especially the details of the few that I own. I've truly enjoyed the miles that I've put on #777. It is efficient without being overly stiff, handles well, and fits my riding style. I'm just a few years younger than you and try to stay in shape by cycling at least 200 miles per month. No plans to modernize it, just want to ride it as much as possible and enjoy.

F-Y-I, The folks at H. Lloyd Cycles confirmed that the transfers are wrong and that they have reproductions of the correct down tube and head/seat tube transfers, but nothing for the chain stays.

I'm curious about your serial numbering system. You've indicated that #777 was built in the 62-63 time frame and that #713 was built around 1965. Realizing that this was a long time ago and it's probably not of interest to anyone, but this curious old guy.

Thanks again. I've enjoyed your inputs on the history of the Soens cycling family, your personal experiences and the other Liverpool builders.

Cheers,

Van

Bill Soens

Über Member
@Bill Soens
@biggs682
@Tony Smith

Hi Bill,

Thanks again for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated. As a retired Yank of English ancestry, I enjoy the history of post WWII vintage bicycles, especially the details of the few that I own. I've truly enjoyed the miles that I've put on #777. It is efficient without being overly stiff, handles well, and fits my riding style. I'm just a few years younger than you and try to stay in shape by cycling at least 200 miles per month. No plans to modernize it, just want to ride it as much as possible and enjoy.

F-Y-I, The folks at H. Lloyd Cycles confirmed that the transfers are wrong and that they have reproductions of the correct down tube and head/seat tube transfers, but nothing for the chain stays.

I'm curious about your serial numbering system. You've indicated that #777 was built in the 62-63 time frame and that #713 was built around 1965. Realizing that this was a long time ago and it's probably not of interest to anyone, but this curious old guy.

Thanks again. I've enjoyed your inputs on the history of the Soens cycling family, your personal experiences and the other Liverpool builders.

Cheers,

Van
Hello again.

My estimation of the dates is obviously incorrect. I'm merely trying to get this nearly 80 year old brain into gear ! Naturally the frame 713 came earlier than 777, up to a year perhaps. It may be reasonable to suggest that these two frames would have been roughly in the 1962-64 era. It is more than fifty years ago and any records have long disappeared.

Best wishes. Bill Soens.

OP
OP
Senior Ryder

Senior Ryder

Hi all,

RE: Brain fade. Once one passes the half century mark, this affliction is inevitable . The worst part is when you go into another room and don't know why you are there.:huh:

Your comments and inputs are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Van

Bill Soens

Über Member
The transfers (decals) are wrong and are for a Jim Soens frame. The former address was Boaler Street and not Boaller Road. Build date was roughly 1964-5 I would estimate.

Cheers.

Bill Soens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom