Removal and fitting of a Press Fit Bottom Bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hello

I need to swap out my bottom bracket - it has significant play and I have the part ready (Shimano BB71 Road Press Fit Bottom Bracket Black 86.5mm)

Do I need any special tools to remove and fit this - I am used to the "normal" hollowtech (Shimano Ultegra 6800 Bottom Bracket) style brackets.

I don't have any tools for the press fit - so if I need to get my LBS to do it then that is fine.

thanks

T4tomo

Guru
I suggest LBS. There are ways to bash the existing ones out with a drift and fashion a DIY press together from a threaded bar and washers, or buy a Press to fit them.

What i would actually suggest is buy a Token NINJA BB so you get rid of press fit squeaks for good. they do them to cove rjust about ever press fit standard
https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-brackets/ninja

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The considered advice to use the proper tools but I reckon you could do it without.
You need to knock out the existing bearings evenly. Pressing in the new ones you could use a length of threaded rod, nuts and appropriate size washers.
If you're not comfortable with that take it to your LBS.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I've tried to book my bike in at one of the local LBS's and they are closed for bookings until 18 April, with a weeks wait at least for repair so... i've bought a removal tool and I will do it myself.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I tried to make one with some copper pipe and a hacksaw but properly borked it (the BB not the ghetto tool) And ended up taking it to the local Giant dealership. Since acquired a proper pressfit removal and install toolset from Amazon but have yet to try it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TNT is the best thing for press fit.

BLOW the bloody frame to bits, and get a threaded one. :laugh:

T4tomo

Guru
TNT is the best thing for press fit.

BLOW the bloody frame to bits, and get a threaded one. :laugh:
I agree, although Token do some very well regarded replacements which convert to a threaded solution that doesn't squeak, thus saving the need to trash the frame.

Top Bottom