Removing a cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've been trying to remove a cassette, as per bicycletutor's vid, but I seem to be a bit short of splines to take the removal tool. I've got as far as this

2rgpc3s.jpg

and hit a brick wall. Any suggestions gratefully received. (For one thing, is it possible to tell if this is a Shimano cassette? I'd assumed it was, on account of it's mounted on an old Shimano 600 hub, but maybe it's not?)

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
strange - could it be a freewheel and not a casette - tool TLP28
FR-8 on this page
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/freewheel.html

looks like it might fit mind you thats for a bmx!! the mind boggles sorry.

Good luck!

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks for getting back so quickly. It's nice at the very least to know someone else is baffled - ie, I'm not being dumb! Good suggestion, but I'm pretty sure it's not a freewheel - the hub has the 'cassette bulge' at that end. Mystifying..!

I thought it was a freewheel when I saw it.

If that 4 splined part is the lockring I have used a pair of scissors in the past to undo something similar by putting pressure on just two of the slots or you could try to get something like a screwdiver instead.

Will1985

Über Member
Yep...definitely a freewheel. I somehow managed to break the freewheel on my ageing MTB a few years ago with a cassette tool because it had the splines.

mattsccm

Freewheel.I have 600 hub with the bulge as well.
Maybe a change of plan needed to replace it????

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Interesting....especially mattsccm's 'Freewheel.I have 600 hub with the bulge as well'. I didn't know that was possible. Hmmm. I shall have to have a think. I know from hard experience that freewheels are a bugger to shift even with the right tool, so my chances without one seem pretty slim. (Nor does it even look like any of the ones on Crackle's Park Tools page.) Not sure where I go from here, but thanks for your help.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Might it be an old Shimano Uniglide hub?
Have a look at the bottom of this article:
http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks again, but I think I've decided to call it a day. It's old and probably not worth investing time & money in...I'd have to find and buy the right tool, at the very least, and I'd only use it once. I think it's time to fold. So it goes.

Top Bottom