Removing a pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Best described as brute force and pig ignorance.

Some fake WD40, sit down and have a cup of tea.
Then the hot air gun. Warm enough to make a difference.
Then the spanner and lump hammer.

The key was realising I had been tightening. Changed direction of hammering and it all came together. Well apart actually.

For the fact freaks, my bike has a belt drive.

Who ever said pigs are ignorant?
Is that piggist?

I was obviously ignorant of the direction that I should be trying to release the pedal

Ah, as you mentioned checking right direction, I and others didn’t ask if you were trying to undo in right direction.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Ah, as you mentioned checking right direction, I and others didn’t ask if you were trying to undo in right direction.
Thank you for that.

Yes, I mücked up 50%, but I scored 100% on the other bit.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was intrigued, so I just had a go in the garage.

Result, for this method to work it will depend on where the spanner flats are positioned on the crank.

Indeed, but you can reverse the spanner (flip it over), as they are usually offset jaws, which moves the spanner shaft relative to the crank, so you need to be pretty unlucky not to find a position to apply the t4tomo squeeze, hand size dependant.

Apart from making sure you are unscrewing in the right direction, any hints?

The key was realising I had been tightening. Changed direction of hammering and it all came together. Well apart actually.
classic!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

GuyBoden

Guru
Indeed, but you can reverse the spanner (flip it over), as they are usually offset jaws, which moves the spanner shaft relative to the crank, so you need to be pretty unlucky not to find a position to apply the t4tomo squeeze, hand size dependant.

You must have a "Magic" pedal spanner too. Because, the trick doesn't work on the pedals of 5 of my 7 bikes.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran

classic!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I know, but it kept a few people amused for a little while.
Schadenfreude is a spectator sport.

Svendo

Guru
As in the previous thread @ColinJ referred to, once all else is maxed out, apply heat.
I had success removing a pedal from a broken crankset using several applications of kettles of boiling water. Being out of the frame and not having a vice there was a limit to the leverage I could apply.

Top Bottom