removing granny ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Paulus said:
On most chainrings the granny ring is riveted to the casting so is not removable. Personally I wouldn't bother. Leave it in place and forget about it.
You could always spend some wonga on a new chainset, front and rear mechs and new chain to get the double chainset, should only set you back a couple of hundred or so;)

Perhaps in earlier days this was true but the Truvativ, Deore, Tiagra and Veloce fitted to some of my bikes have a removable inner ring. Of our fleet of 9 bikes only my wife's Discovery 201 has riveted chainrings.

briank

Whether or not you can waggle/wiggle the inner ring off without removing the crank or pedal depends on the size of the ring.

However, if you do want to sling the inner ring you'll have to either fit shorter (single) chainring bolts or cut up the inner ring to make spacers. (Not quite as daft as it sounds, cos it avoids an ugly stepped end to the arms of the spider.)

briank said:
Whether or not you can waggle/wiggle the inner ring off without removing the crank or pedal depends on the size of the ring.

However, if you do want to sling the inner ring you'll have to either fit shorter (single) chainring bolts or cut up the inner ring to make spacers. (Not quite as daft as it sounds, cos it avoids an ugly stepped end to the arms of the spider.)

As I mentioned to andy (couple of posts above), chainsets/rings vary. On my new one there's no problem removing the 'granny' (once the chain/crank set is removed)
2008_0619Chainrings0001.jpg

and once it's off the remaining rings/holder look quite neat (I need mine so it's stopping on). As you can see each ring is held in place with separate bolts (seems like a good idea to me). View from the crank side
2008_0619Chainrings0002.jpg

I think you can just about make out that that 'granny' is just that bit too small to fit over the spider, but I'm sure that it's quicker to remove the complete chainset anyway on this set up.

Top Bottom