Removing my second inner crank advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
I`ve managed to get hold of a new crank set with a 52T large chainwheel. this particular bike doesn`t have a front changer and I don`t want or need one.
I dismantled the rings, put the small ring aside and reasembled the large ring onto the spider. Now I realised that the securing male and female screws are to long and come to abutment before the chainwheel is tight. No problem, I ordered a set of single chain ring fixings. They arived today and they work ok and pull the ring tight onto the spider. What I have realised now is that the female round nut only fills the chainring( doesn`t protrude into the spider) and the alen bolt male side is a smaller diameter(obviously) So! it all tightens up a treat but I`m a bit worried that because the male section isn`t a tight fit in the spider there could after a while be some sideways movement allowing the ring to move about.

You might well say that they all fit that way and no problems but I`m tempted to grind the original double chainring females slightly shorter so that they don`t come to abutment but do pass through the ring and the spider holding them firmly in position

what do you reckon?

Thanks

Dave

PpPete

Legendary Member
Or just get some washers to "fill" the gap.
Advantage is that you can put them in different places, either side, or between spider & ring, so as to adjust chainline.

I used ordinary M10 size from well known hardware emporium, had to file away one side to fit the shape of the spider, but it works a treat.

I think VeloSolo do some pukka ones in different thicknesses for fine adjustment of chainline, but I'm a cheapskate.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Old timer said:
.... I`m tempted to grind the original double chainring females slightly shorter so that they don`t come to abutment but do pass through the ring and the spider holding them firmly in position

what do you reckon?

Thanks

Dave

Why not? - if you are sure you are not going to need them in the future.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Actually, I think I`ll leave the second chain wheel on, although I don`t have a front changer if I ever get into trouble for what ever reason I could always stop and put the chain over by hand.

I didn`t think of that:blush:

Thanks for coming back to me.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
OK, in the end I fitted a 57T ring (it`s an E bike) and I wanted the top gear 14T as an overdrive for down hill. I fitted the 52T ring on the inside just in case and it allowed me to use the supplied ring bolts.

Being an E bike with the gap behind the down tube where the battery fits sees the standard chain being 129 links long. I added 9T to the chain ring so I needed to lengthen the chain. What I had to do was to buy two 116 chains and using my chain link tool added (I think it was 24 links) to the 116 new chain and all seems well. I could have done it by just adding links to the existing chain but couldn`t find an identical chain. Not sure how importatnt that would have been but I just got the feeling that a chain should be exactly the same links right the way through.

Was I right? or could I have saved the cost of the second chain and mismatched?

Top Bottom