Removing seized stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazleton

Hi all. Apart from soaking with WD40 can anyone suggest how to remove a seized quill stem. I wanted to remove it to service head bearings. I managed to drop it enough to clean and grease them but I'm stuck if I need to take it out completely.
Thanks.

Sustrans Chichester Group

fixedfixer

Veteran
Take your bars off and front wheel off, turn bike upside down and put stem in vice. Spray some WD40 of similar freeing agent down the fork. Let it sit there upside down overnight. Then have another, go keeping the stem in the vice. If you use plenty of packing around the stem you maybe able to save it. Other wise check out a recent post from Carlton who had to cut one out recently. Good luck let us know how you get on.

tyred

Legendary Member
Leave the bars on, turn bike upside down and take of the wheel and mudguard, fill the steerer tube with diesel and let it soak for a few days. Then fit an old/damaged wheel you don't care about, turn bike up the correct way again and wedge the wheel into something so it can't move. Unscrew the quill bolt and tap it down into the steerer, stand astride the bike and twist and pull on the bars.

PeterD

Don't forget -- when you finally get the stem removed always apply a thin smear of fine grease on the stem to prevent it getting ''welded'' in again.

Good luck

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
It's the same old advice, but still worth repeating.

WD40 is not a very good freeing liquid. It's not bad, but was never designed for that use.

You will be amazed how much more effective something like Plusgas is when you need it.

As an aside, the story of WD40 is really interesting, but mainly as a triumph of marketing. I'm not deriding it as a product, but they have still done well to make it the most ubiquitous DIY product on the planet. No other product is found in so many homes along with the belief that it is good for everything. Households that don't even own a screwdriver will own a can of WD40!

It was also the only private company of it's size that spent nothing on research and only ever had one product. But in the last decade they have tried to mitigate some of their possible vulnerability by acquiring other products and now own 3 in 1 oil and also bought 1001 carpet cleaner from Cussons.

Chris S

Legendary Member
WD40 is not a very good freeing liquid. It's not bad, but was never designed for that use.

WD40 stands for 'Water Dispellant 40', that's all it was designed for (the 40 comes from the fact that it was the designers 40th attempt).

Try Plusgas which is readily available online.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
is the wedge loose or still tight ?. If tight, refit stem bolt, and give it a tap to pop the wedge down. This will ease removal a little.

OP
OP
G

gazleton

The wedge is loose.

Top Bottom