Removing wheel with motor in it, how?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The instruction book shows

IMG_0017_1b.jpg but does not show how to disconnect cables. Bought second hand, so did not do the original build, so had puncture, the cover came off end, and there was a cable with a spring around it, which seems to go into some controller
1659746488673.png
but can't get cover off the box, and seems to be no connector on the cable, I have changed the tyre and tube without disconnecting the motor, but it was not easy.

Any idea how to disconnect wheel.

CXRAndy

Guru
if the control box is sealed, then I can only see an option to fit a quality water tight connector. or do as you did, struggle.

I converted my e-bikes to tubeless, so minor punctures become irrelevant as they self seal. Only major tyre failure do wheels need to come off

Gwylan

Veteran
Based on my experience.

Follow the cable out of the motor, towards the controller - battery.
Somewhere there will, well there should, be a connector. This SHOULD pull apart and separate the wheel from the bike.
Sometimes fixed to the frame with cable ties.

Good luck

Every ebike I have had has had a connector on it somewhere - I justhad to find it

except the first one

I apparently you had to unscrew a thingy from a whatsit on the hub using a doofa - the manufacturers sent me instruction
but I still couldn;t find a way to do it - and nor could the LBS

The LBS tried to cut the cable and insert a connector but then couldn;t find a waterproof connector that had the right number of wires - they ended up just soldering the wires back together!

I suggest you try to email the original manufacturer and see if they help

BTW - make and model??? - someone might have one and knows

Reactions: mjr

Tenkaykev

Guru
..Gaadi double ended inner tubes??..ie no need to remove the wheel....??

A double ended inner tube is something I’ve pondered with my Brommie from time to time. Taking a Schwalbe AV4 tube and cutting it in a shallow arc opposite the valve and then welding the cut ends using heat + adhesive.

Mike_P

Guru
Try looking on https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/
Or one of the other ebike forums
What make and model?

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

It is clearly a cheap bike, the rear wheel is non adjustable which I have never seen before, always a slot to adjust chain or belt tension when not using derail gears, it was bought second hand during colvid when I found my licence had run out (reached 70) and could not get it renewed, due to problems with DVLA, I wanted a mid motor, but could not visit bike shops to select one. I also do not like cable disc brakes, I have been let down by them, adjustment is critical.

However sold on the idea of folding, and the use of large wheels, but the motor control seems to be speed related, 1 to 5 seems to related to the speed at which assistance stops, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20 MPH rather than how much help it gives, so set to level 2 one can select top gear and unless a really steep hill you just stay in the one gear, and exercise is minimal which is really not the idea for cycling, wife's mid motor Bosch is far better, also twice the price, but not really seen any folding bikes with mid motor.

The manual which came with the bike does not have any manufacturers name, not even an ISBN number, and no instructions on how to set it up. I did find out how to move from KPH to MPH, there are 17 codes, but could only find reference to 16 codes, on the internet, so wary about changing any, in case it does not do as expected.

Since second hand don't even know the age, it has a throttle, which are no longer allowed on new bikes, so must be quite old, I think moving number 10 from 2 to 0 would disable the throttle, but without it there is no walk assist, or help starting off at junctions, the latter would be dangerous so don't want to disable throttle.

What I need is to get into this

1659864624189.png
box, find out how many wires go to motor, and get a connector with that many terminals. There are 4 recesses which seem likely to have screws in, but neither cross head or flat screwdrivers seemed to engage on anything. So seems likely either tor or alan heads. Most likely tor, and the recesses are too small to fit my bit holding screwdriver to be able to try the bits.

My hope was some one on here had already found out, no point re inverting the wheel.

My major problem is roads around here not really safe for cycling, so need to travel away from village before I start, and carrying the bike on the bus seems out, and although the train will carry the bike, not ideal as need to leave it outside on the veranda. Plus a charge of £3.50 for bike or dog, same ticket, so folding is a good idea.

Top Bottom