Replacement hydraulic brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
Hi,

I got a mountain bike a few years back second hand with avid elixir 1 brakes, they've never worked 100%.

I used the voucher scheme during covid to get the brakes looked at, the brakes were a bit better but still noisy even when not braking.

I went to change pads today and the levers went spongy, so I went to do a bleed and realised the mechanic has rounded off the caliper bleed screw.

Rather than bodging some unsatisfactory brakes I was thinking of replacement - what sort of replacement should I look at? I've got no idea of cost or compatibility - do I need to replace the rotors or just the calipers levers and hoses?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 26715

I have Shimano on both my Cube's no idea of the models but both work great, I don't know for a fact but I would have thought you could keep the discs, you just have to ensure the new calliper sit's in the middle of the disc.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 26715

Must have got the last one as there's no stock now, hopefully yours is actually there

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Presumably you’ve already got the front brake line. You’ll need to bleed the installation after fitting the new caliper so you’ll need a kit for that and fluid.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Hi,

I got a mountain bike a few years back second hand with avid elixir 1 brakes, they've never worked 100%.

I used the voucher scheme during covid to get the brakes looked at, the brakes were a bit better but still noisy even when not braking.

I went to change pads today and the levers went spongy, so I went to do a bleed and realised the mechanic has rounded off the caliper bleed screw.

Rather than bodging some unsatisfactory brakes I was thinking of replacement - what sort of replacement should I look at? I've got no idea of cost or compatibility - do I need to replace the rotors or just the calipers levers and hoses?

Thanks

Shimano Deore are a decent and relatively inexpensive replacement . I have them on a couple of bikes and a trike without issue.

Rotors do wear and have a minimum thickness so I'd replace the front if it's had plenty of use in those 5 years.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Presumably you’ve already got the front brake line. You’ll need to bleed the installation after fitting the new caliper so you’ll need a kit for that and fluid.

Yes - this comes with it's own and is pre bled though, so might just live with the excess hose for a while.

I've got a bleed kit but the wrong fluid I think.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Shimano Deore are a decent and relatively inexpensive replacement . I have them on a couple of bikes and a trike without issue.

Rotors do wear and have a minimum thickness so I'd replace the front if it's had plenty of use in those 5 years.

Not a bad shout - are they much of a muchness?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Not a bad shout - are they much of a muchness?

The levers are pressed steel and not too nice in the hand but they function fine and enough power to slower a fully loaded recumbent trike when touring with 1 finger on each side. Good modulation and a smooth initial bite plenty of spares (usually) .
I'd happily buy them again.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Hose might be a little bit long!!

Attachments

• PXL_20220910_130947311.jpg
    PXL_20220910_130947311.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20220910_130947311.jpg