Replacement Suntour chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

durhamboheme

Hi

I've got a Marin Larkspur and need to change a worn chainset. Its a Suntour NCX-410 but I can't find one to buy online. What else could I substitute it with? Its a 48/38/28 for 8 speed at the rear.

Also, should I be changing the chain now as well? Don't know how to tell if its worn.

cheers

Justin

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
TBH, any cheap-and-cheerful chainset should work. I'd buy the recomended bottom bracket for whatever chainset you plump for, and swap them both at the same time. If the chainset is shot, the BB won't be far behind.
And yes, swap the chain too. And the cassette.

Oh, and welcome!! ;)

SimonC

Cant you just change the chainwheels??

I notice you have a later thread where you plan to change the whole shebang, is this cos of the previous reply in this thread. If so, I would think again. Just fit new chainwheels, or failing that, a new cheap and cheerful chainset. No need to replace bb or chain or cassette. Old chains are usually OK on new chainwheels.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's bad advice I'm afraid, the old chain will wear the new rings and cassette at an accelerated rate because the strain will lie slack on the teeth and only the first or last tooth in line will actually take any strain. You need to change everything together.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
TheDoctor said:
TBH, any cheap-and-cheerful chainset should work. I'd buy the recomended bottom bracket for whatever chainset you plump for, and swap them both at the same time. If the chainset is shot, the BB won't be far behind.
And yes, swap the chain too. And the cassette.

Oh, and welcome!! :biggrin:
Let's face it - you need a new bike. :rofl:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
More helpfully, arguably, you could check out this thread, and then go have a look on ebay - these things come up all the time for a penny in the pound. Eg. Just don't buy a Campagnolo one - almost anything else will fit.

SimonC

Rigid Raider said:
That's bad advice I'm afraid, the old chain will wear the new rings and cassette at an accelerated rate because the strain will lie slack on the teeth and only the first or last tooth in line will actually take any strain. You need to change everything together.

No it isnt, cassette and chain are not being swapped, and there is no problem fitting a new chainring and leaving the cassette/chain as is. Done it myself a number of times.

Top Bottom