replacing bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
Pretty standard for 99% of cranks. Just get a bicycle crank puller. I would be inclined to get something like this, they are cheap enough on Ebay or Amazon.

Crank_puller.jpg

PpPete

Legendary Member
Pretty standard for 99% of cranks. Just get a bicycle crank puller. I would be inclined to get something like this, they are cheap enough on Ebay or Amazon.

Crank_puller.jpg
But... just check that you have removed any washers from the end of the spindle before using one of these.
Also remove the (usually magnetic) button designed to adapt them for Octalink before using it on square taper. DAMHIKT !

Somewhere

Formerly known as BimblingBee
removed bolt on both sides of axle yesterday night and tried pulling cranks off with crank puller like this
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkLXi6NuH63uExAzjGK3FdIwF52nGYm_L83dDUrc0I1sPn7q54.jpg

Cheers Ed

You can get away with using this type of tool if you put a bolt in that extends past the end of the crank so when you screw down the centre bolt you are not just crushing the crank. A socket can also be used, just make sure you are clear of the cranks.

Look at superstar website for some good tools. The crank extractor shown further up are good. Park tool are expensive and a little over-rated IMO

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
But... just check that you have removed any washers from the end of the spindle before using one of these.
Also remove the (usually magnetic) button designed to adapt them for Octalink before using it on square taper. DAMHIKT !
what explain to a simpleton on the other end here please?
Cheers Ed

PpPete

Legendary Member
DAMHIKT = don't ask me how I know this.
Why not ? because it is embarassing..... especially for someone more than three times your age who should have known better.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
DAMHIKT = don't ask me how I know this.
Why not ? because it is embarassing..... especially for someone more than three times your age who should have known better.
thanks mate
don't worry never too late to learn, why what does happen when ypu forget to remove this button? do you wreck the crank or axle? or do you just waste a lot of time?
what is the button and what is octalink? i have only heard of sqaure taper being a noob and all :sad:
Cheers Ed

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
thanks mate
don't worry never too late to learn, why what does happen when ypu forget to remove this button? do you wreck the crank or axle? or do you just waste a lot of time?

what is the button and what is octalink? i have only heard of sqaure taper being a noob and all :sad:
Cheers Ed
Octalink is a different design of bottom bracket where the ends are splined as per this one. The button is an adapter so the crank remover can be used on square taper or octalink. The seperate part in the image with this tool.

If you use the button on a square taper crank it won't press the crank off the axle but will (if you are stubborn enough) tighten to the point where the crank removal threads pull out in a neat little coil. This is highly embarrassing and makes the crank a wee bit tricky to remove.:shy:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Octalink is a different design of bottom bracket where the ends are splined as per this one. The button is an adapter so the crank remover can be used on square taper or octalink. The seperate part in the image with this tool.

If you use the button on a square taper crank it won't press the crank off the axle but will (if you are stubborn enough) tighten to the point where the crank removal threads pull out in a neat little coil. This is highly embarrassing and makes the crank a wee bit tricky to remove.

Thank you for sparing my blushes - not !
Anyone got a use for crank that has been hacksawed in half to remove it?:shy:

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Thank you for sparing my blushes - not !
Anyone got a use for crank that has been hacksawed in half to remove it?:shy:
yeah i have
my scrap metal collection makes great for just machining a little bit for some project! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

Christopher

Über Member
Might help to post a pic of what you have, Ed & we can guide you right.
BTW Hollowtech and Octalink BBs do not fit old-style square taper cranks!

Top Bottom