Replacing Cassette on older Trek 3.1 Madone bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sara stanton

Hi , can anyone help..i am new this this technical side of things....Any replies please speak to me like i am 4 years old .. however i am trying to learn

I want to buy a replacement cassette. I have a beloved old Trek 3.1 Madone

Currently it is Shimano hyperglide 10 speed , CS4600 12/30 .

I can only fine Shimano CS-4600 Tiagra 10 Speed Cassette 12-28

would this make a difference to lose a couple of gears - im also planning on putting the new cassette on my Wahoo KICKR smart for winter training

or is there an equivalent ?

any help much appreciated thanks sara

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Depends where you live.

Any really steep hills and I'd be reluctant to lose the extra 2 teeth but in reality it would make very little difference.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look for SRAM or Microshift 10 speed cassettes with the same number of teeth if you don't want to lose gearing. They are all compatible. SRAM are usually lighter, Microshift the cheapest. Do you have a local Decathlon.

Hi , can anyone help..i am new this this technical side of things....Any replies please speak to me like i am 4 years old .. however i am trying to learn

I want to buy a replacement cassette. I have a beloved old Trek 3.1 Madone

Currently it is Shimano hyperglide 10 speed , CS4600 12/30 .

I can only fine Shimano CS-4600 Tiagra 10 Speed Cassette 12-28

would this make a difference to lose a couple of gears - im also planning on putting the new cassette on my Wahoo KICKR smart for winter training

or is there an equivalent ?

any help much appreciated thanks sara

You're not losing any gears but your bottom gear will be harder work. If you don't ever use your bottom gear then it's fine but if you do - then you would notice it being tougher on the steepest slopes.

Jameshow

Veteran
The only one #I could find is The Ultegra it is quite expensive https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cassettes/1123-shimano-ultegra-cs6700-10-speed-cassette/
maybe you could put on a 11-32 https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra-hg500-10-speed-road-cassette-1
more range and cheaper than ultegra.

Send me the ultegra one and I'll send you a sunrace one FoC!!

Seriously you don't need an ultegra one and a lesser brand will do.

I think you might be better with a closer block like 11-28t or even 11-25t (which will be cheaper!) on a static trainer as you will notice the jumps more than on a road bike.

Top Bottom