Resale price for shoes/pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hydra

Occasional Pepper Carver
A few days ago I received my order of some SPD-SL (Shimano R077) shoes and pedals (R540). However, I've more or less made my mind up that they're not ideal for my type of riding. I have absolutely no confidence in traffic, mainly with clipping back in rather than out.

While part of me is thinking I should just stick at it and get used to them, the majority is telling me to sell them on and go back to my lovely SPDs.

How much would I be looking at if I were to sell them? Obviously I'd like to get as much of the full value back as possible, but I know this is unlikely.

FYI the shoes were £55 and the pedals £25.

The shoes will take an SPD cleat so you could just get rid of the pedals?

If you haven't used them at all can't you return them and just lose the return postage?

OP
OP
Hydra

Hydra

Occasional Pepper Carver
The shoes will take an SPD cleat so you could just get rid of the pedals?

If you haven't used them at all can't you return them and just lose the return postage?

Unfortunately I've used them, and there's some light scuffage on the heels from walking so returning is out of the question.

As for just sticking SPD cleats on the shoes, that's not gonna work. I didn't realise how much I actually do walk about off the bike. There's a few flights of stairs I need to tackle occasionally as well... which is bloody awkward to say the least in SPD SL shoes.

The only reason I can justify keeping them is for longer rides out in the country really.

siadwell

Guru
I had exactly the same issue Hydra - I'd got used to the ease of clipping in to M520 SPDs and then I got a new road bike and thought I'd better get the proper kit with SPD-SLs and Spesh road shoes.

The shoes were great from the start, but for a while I absolutely hated the SPD-SLs, making a complete Horlicks every time I started off and tried to clip in. But with a bit of practice, things are getting better and clipping in seems easier the less I think about it.

Even if you stick with it though, they may not be the best solution for you if you need to do a fair bit of walking.

Nebulous

Guru
It depends what someone is willing to pay! Often more than you would think though.

My wife bought a pair of second-hand spesh carbon soled shoes for me from ebay just before Christmas. They didn't fit and I ended up buying a pair from a shop where I could try them. After a couple of months she decided to chuck them back on ebay- with an explanation of the history.

She paid £35 and got over £55 +postage back. Even with postage and fees she made some money from it.

OP
OP
Hydra

Hydra

Occasional Pepper Carver
It depends what someone is willing to pay! Often more than you would think though.

My wife bought a pair of second-hand spesh carbon soled shoes for me from ebay just before Christmas. They didn't fit and I ended up buying a pair from a shop where I could try them. After a couple of months she decided to chuck them back on ebay- with an explanation of the history.

She paid £35 and got over £55 +postage back. Even with postage and fees she made some money from it.

Not bad!

I stuck the shoes and pedals on eBay a few days ago and things are looking good. I've broken even with the pedals and it's a similar story with the shoes, even with describing the minor scuffs etc.

That's my Bontrager Streets paid for :biggrin:

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I sold my R540s for £15 (without cleats)

I just sold some Look PP247 Arc road pedals with cleats for £20

I just sold some Sidi size 45 shoes on ebay for £51 (about half new price)

Normally I think you can expect just over half price 60% ish

Top Bottom