Rescue for Orange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I do hope they survive this crisis, although I never bought into the legend myself.

I've bid on a few local auctions for Orange bikes but they have always sold at surprisingly high prices considering some of them look to have had a lot of use by serious off-road cyclists. I've been in a few high end bike shops where I've drooled over a few models but simply out of my price range new and I'm not a serious off-road cyclist so I don't actually need one but that doesn't stop me wanting one.

Drago

Legendary Member
Is this a case of a high-end brand in the 90s, outsourcing much of the range to be made in the far east which made it a mid-range brand with high-end prices?

Pretty much. I believe their top flight frames were UK built, but everything else is Taiwanese. That's not a problem (some of the best frames hail from Taiwan) if the prices are of a Taiwanese nature, but they're not.

They've eaten out on their past successes and three deade old image for far too long. The bailout is good, but without some new approach they'll head the same way again before long.

Having had a couple of orange bikes over the years they are up against it.
Much as I wish to support and buy British the full suspension bikes on offer these days are very good in comparison.
I would however gladly purchase a hardtail option of there's if required

Sterling is over-valued therefore exports aren't competitive, business costs are high including labour rates. I think its difficult to create a margin in the UK. As we all know its cheaper to have holidays abroad than in the UK and people just keep importing goods including high value cars. Taxation in the UK is at its highest for 70 years in order to provide enough taxation to pay the huge interest payments on our debt. It's just economic madness how this country is run.

Top Bottom