Rescuing my Scott?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Finnjävel

I have discovered something horrible reaching across the gulf of time. A thing so foul the merest mention of its name makes people shudder, check the locks and turn on more lights.

A Scott Boston from the nineties.
scottboston.jpg

There isn't a lot of info out there about this model, but I did find this page that lists some of the technical specs:

Frame & Fork
Frame Construction TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material Hi-tensile steel
Fork Brand & Model SPT-278X
Fork Material Hi-tensile steel, unicrown crown
Rear Shock Not applicable

Components
Component Group Shimano
Brakeset Shimano Altus brakes, aluminum levers
Shift Levers Shimano Tourney TY-30 top-mount
Front Derailleur Shimano Tourney TY-30, bottom-pull/clamp-on 28.6 mm
Rear Derailleur Shimano Altus
Crankset Shimano Tourney TY-21, 28/38/48 teeth
Pedals Victor VP-707
Bottom Bracket Chin Haur CH-46, 122 mm spindle
BB Shell Width 68mm English
Rear Cogs 7-speed, 14 - 28 teeth
Chain KMC UG-50, 1/2 x 3/32"
Seatpost Aluminum, 26.4 mm diameter
Saddle Scott Comfort
Handlebar Hi-tensile steel
Handlebar Extensions Not included
Handlebar Stem Hi-tensile steel
Headset 1" Victor VP-H83 sealed

Wheels
Hubs Aluminum
Rims Alex VP-20, 36-hole
Tires 700 x 40c Kenda K-830
Spoke Brand DT steel, 2.0mm straight gauge
Spoke Nipples Brass nipples

Now, I'd like to rescue this to a workable condition, mostly for running errands so that I wouldn't have to leave my nice bikes out. And yes, maybe the occasional, very infrequent trip to the pub. For coffee.

While the thing would possibly be ridable after some air in the tires and some lube in the chains, I remember the gears driving me nuts and the brakes not doing much of anything. I can't imagine keeping it outside for a few years would have helped much.

So maybe it would be better to make it a single speed, and maybe change the brakes to calipers? Or is there something else that can be done to make cantilever brakes do some actual braking? I assume I'd have to change the wheels as well.

dropout.jpg

Dropouts, I imagine these would make it possible to run single speed without a chain tensioner?

headset.jpg

Some weird, unnatural headset.

I know this might full well end up costing more than buying a working second-hand hack, but I think I'd like to use this bike rather than throw it away.

Any thoughts or tips about this?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
some new slick tyres along with koolstop pads will help the rest clean and lube and see if it helps

Sterba

Über Member
No-name V brakes are very cheap and mount on to the same bosses, but you need brake levers to match. Shimano do a nice brake/gear lever unit for 7 rear and 3 front gears. That way you would get indexing and strong stopping power.

OP
OP
Finnjävel

Finnjävel

Thanks for the replies.
The front chainrings and rear cogs are pretty much done for, what do I need to change them?

sidevalve

Über Member
Front and rear sprockets are freely available and very cheap [for this sort of machine and what you want it for, no super dooper quality required]. The brakes should be good, if not either you haven't cleaned / lubed the cables / pivots or the shoes are contaminated, not really the end of the world to fix. The headset is just the old wedge type, nothing odd about it. Overall a simple [and cheap] fix up, just needs a little TLC and off you go.

Momiji

Hi,

I tried to find some info about this bike and found the link on bicyclepedia you did. Do you think it is the same mountain bike that the one described ? The one on bicyclepedia is in hi-ten but on yours? (and the one I hesitate to buy) there is a sign where it is written "cro mo MTB tubing"... Is the bike heavy ?

Attachments

• 20150225_180426[1].jpg
    20150225_180426[1].jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 36

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi,

I tried to find some info about this bike and found the link on bicyclepedia you did. Do you think it is the same mountain bike that the one described ? The one on bicyclepedia is in hi-ten but on yours? (and the one I hesitate to buy) there is a sign where it is written "cro mo MTB tubing"... Is the bike heavy ?

depends what you are comparing it to , but shouldnt be that heavy for a retro mtb

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I always like the workmanship on Scotts, I've had a couple of San Francisco's pass through my hands, but the weight was a factor. Good call on passing it on, and may it find new life with your brother-in-law.

OP
OP
Finnjävel

Finnjävel

Hi, sorry for the late reply, but I haven't visited this forum for a while. Yes, that sticker does look familiar.

I think the bike suits its new owner just fine, as he's a really lazy bum and won't be cycling at all.

I recently got a divorce, but I don't think donating the bike played any part in it.

Top Bottom